belkin Wireless G-router has no default gateway

Nathredwood 16:45 13 Jun 06

My laptop seems to be connected to the network which is 'excellent' according to the belkin wireless utility that came with the network adaptor. However windows wireless connection thing says that the connection has no or limited connectivity and when i check the problem it seems to be because of the default gateway. i've repaired the connection several times and it doesn't seem to be working. my desktop pc is connected via a network cable and i can connect using this. My brother's laptop is also struggling to connect. Any ideas on what it might be?
Nath

ade.h 16:56 13 Jun 06

Firstly, why are you using the 3rd-party software that was supplied with the adapter?! Not necessary and not generally a good idea, except for 9x users. That said, your specific issue is 80/20 either way (probably the router, may be the adapter) but you're not doing yourself any favours by using that software.

Secondly, *which* Belkin router? I need to know in order to check through my growing collection of manuals and tell you how to check the default gateway. The chances are good that it's slightly different to mine.

Nathredwood 17:00 13 Jun 06

F5D7633-4 is the product number. The third party software is the belkin one? its on my laptop and came with the belkin adapter which is F5D7011 so should i get rid of this?

ade.h 18:28 13 Jun 06

Yes. Uninstall the software and the hardware in the correct manner (Device Manager first and then Program Access and Defaults/Add or Remove Programs). Then install the hardware in the normal way. Plug it in with the CD in your drive and instruct the New Hardware wizard to browse the CD.

Nathredwood 17:43 14 Jun 06

just noticed that on the belkin main page where the router is set up security is disabled under WLAN settings. its supposed to be 128bit WEP but it is saying disabled. Will do what u suggested to do with the wireless adaptor but could this other issue be the reason for it not working?

ade.h 17:49 14 Jun 06

"...could this other issue be the reason for it not working?"

Not really, no. But you should not be using WEP anymore. click here. Even if the software did not support WPA, Windows does when the adapter (which can handle it with an up-to-date driver) is used sans software.

ade.h 17:57 14 Jun 06

Looking through my manuals, the closest that I have is the uk4 variant, which should be identical in its config.

On page 4 (6 of 94) of the pdf, you'll see info about the internet settings that you require, one of which is the default gateway IP. My router picks this up automatically, but you may need to find this info from your ISP. It's also mentioned on 34 (36 of 94), but just search the pdf for "default gateway" and you'll find all the references to this setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…