Belkin Wireless G adapter and 3COM wireless router

Greengo 11:07 09 Jun 06

I can't connect my new belkin wireless adapter to my 3COM router even though i have entered the network key correctly (check and doubled checked). I got it working briefly the other day, but every time i try to connect to the network its unable to renew an IP address neccessary for connection.
I have checked that the DHCP server in the router ie enabled. Please help?
Can someone walk me through the steps?

scotty 13:21 09 Jun 06

When you installed the Belkin adaptor, did you install the belkin software? I have found this to be very troublesome and have reverted to using Windows (Windows Zero Configuration) to drive the wireless adaptor. You may have to uninstall the Belkin hardware and software and start again to get WZC to work.

ade.h 13:48 09 Jun 06

At the risk of repeating what I and others have often said; in 99% of cases, you should always run USB adapters in driver-only configuration.

If you're having trouble with the DHCP, switch it off and assign IPs to all clients manually.

Are you using WEP or WPA/WPA2?

What 3Com model is it? (So I can check my manuals).

In the meantime, get rid of *all trace* - drivers and software - of the adapter and reinstall it.

ade.h 00:18 11 Jun 06

Any progress with the driver-only approach?

ade.h 00:18 11 Jun 06

And could you answer my questions about your router model and security protocol, please?

Greengo 18:27 12 Jun 06

Sorry for the delayed to those trying to help and need further info.

I'm using WEP, my wireless G notebook network card is Belkin F5D701uk.

I'm gonna try some of the suggestions over the next few days and feedback to those who have helped so far, but if you think of any new suggestion please drop me a line.

Regards

Greengo 14:36 19 Jun 06

Hi,

I managed to connect to the network by putting in a static IP address. In network places it shows that the device is connected to the network, however when i try to go online, i get the message cannot find server? Please help

ade.h 14:44 19 Jun 06

Have you set this new IP in your client's firewall? You probably need to if you did not use a range when the permission was first created.

Greengo 10:11 26 Jun 06

I'm getting an RUNDLL ERROR, NEWDOT~2.DLL,I have read some motes under the internet saying this can affect wireless connection. Could this be the cause of my problems? How do I safely remove this or repair this error?

ade.h 16:11 26 Jun 06

I don't know whether that particular DLL file has a bearing on a wireless connection - I'll look it up though, as I like to know these things (might put that info on my site). You can usually repair DLL errors and other missing/corrupted/incorrect system files by running sfc /scannow. Type it exactly and have your Windows CD in the drive. You won't get any feedback from it, so just let it run and hope that it finds and corrects the problem file.

Greengo 16:25 26 Jun 06

I don't have the windows cd that i have installed in the laptop, can i use another windows cd that i installed on my desktop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…