Belkin wireless card not compatible

raggy 2 08:19 17 Sep 07

hi guys just got sky broadband, bought a belkin PCI card to go wireless, unable to get on after doing as requested by sky. All connected but my sky router unable to pick up the wireless card, now after speaking to a sky advisor they have said that my belkin card need to be set to run-now I think this bit is right- WPA(is this correct) as this is what the sky router is set to run on. asked how to do this and advisor said they would give that information out and that i would need to contact belkin, so my first question is
1. are sky telling me this as the advisor didnt know how to fix my prob?
2. how do I change the settings on this card if this really is what I have to do??

mgmcc 08:41 17 Sep 07

When you scan for "Available Wireless Networks" with the adapter's software, it should find the one which matches your router's SSID (network name). Select that one and "Connect" to it when you should be prompted to enter the WPA 'key'.

If you are running XP and using Belkin's wireless software, I would recommend uninstalling it and using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration instead.

To do this, go into Device Manager, highlight the Wireless Network Adapter and click the Uninstall button. Then go into "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and uninstall the Belkin software.

Reboot and Windows should "find new hardware". Follow the wizard and select the option to install from a specific location. Insert the CD (if it automatically runs to install the software, close it) and "Browse" to the Drivers folder. Windows should then install only the adapter's drivers.

In the absence of any third-party wireless software, Windows will use "Wireless Zero Configuration" so there shouldn't be anything to set up in that respect. In the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks, highlight the one which matches your router's SSID and click the Connect button at the bottom of the window. You should be prompted for any WEP/WPA encryption key and should then be connected to the router and have internet access.

raggy 2 09:38 17 Sep 07

thanks mgmcc,
so after uninstalling the belkin software, do I just reboot and windows xp should pick up my new card that has been put into my PC by me?? I then insert the BELKIN CD. Will try this tonight at home-at work at mo as no internet access- so will let you know how it goes, but thanks anyway for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…