belkin wireless card

phil-394871 18:45 27 Dec 05

i have just had the misfortune of buying a wireless f5d7010 and can not get it to install let alone work! any ideas? ive tryed downloading the soft ware off the belkin site but still can not get it to the config stage! i'm about to bin it!

Forum Editor 19:07 27 Dec 05

it's important to install the software before you insert the adapter in the laptop slot - did you do that? You don't have to get to the 'config stage' because there isn't one - the card just works.

These cards are plug 'n play, and are pretty reliable - usually they install with no problems at all, and auto-detect any wireless networks within range. I've never had any difficulties.

phil-394871 19:14 27 Dec 05

its been installed and uninstalled that many times i dont know where im up to! ive deleted and uninstalled everything again including the kernal!would the card lock up?

Mini-Spooky 09:59 29 Dec 05

I bought a Belkin router 2nd hand last year so bought the latest Belkin wireless card for my laptop, F5D7010. I tried numerous times to get it to work in many combinations, spoke several times to a lady in California on the Belkin helpline. This Christmas I bought a wireless enabled PC so gave the router another go and it worked fine so I tried the card and no luck whatsoever. A friend said that it might be becuase it is CardBus so yesterday I went to Comet and bought the Cable & Wireless Network Card for £19.99, followed the easy instructions and straight off it worked. 9 months after buying the router I am now wireless and jumped for joy. Give up and buy a new network card that doesn't say CardBus and you will be sorted. Kind of glad it wasn't just me.

mgmcc 12:21 29 Dec 05

I have the same F5D7010 card and it works well with both of my laptops (98SE and XP) but they do both support CardBus (32-bit) cards. If the laptop is fairly old, it may only support the older 16-bit PCMCIA cards and this could be the source of the problems.

phil-394871 17:18 30 Dec 05

thanks everyone!
got it sorted! took me two weeks thou! my error was reading the instructions instead of letting the pc do the work for me! both old ish lap tops now running wireless! and its better than any xmas present!as i,m an electrician with full networking knowledge in cat 5e and fibre,this has been the most brain boiling network challenge i,ve ever undertaken!and to think it said "three mins install on the box"!he he!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…