Belkin wireless adapter

Rhuddlan 17:28 19 Feb 07

Hi,

I have installed my Belkin 54Mbps wireless network adapter 802.11g.

I install the software and drivers and then the hardware wizard update starts and wants to install the drivers, when I select the cd rom to as the location of the installed drivers, it tells me there not signed, I continue anyway and then a message appears in the taskbar saying your hardware could not be installed and may not work properly?

skidzy 18:56 19 Feb 07

Have you checked Device Manager ?

I take it you are using the adapter in another pc/laptop that does not have a wireless card.

Firstly i would try uninstalling the software/reboot and try a reinstall.

OR:

Uninstall the software and use a flash/pendrive and windows Wireless setup wizard from conrol panel,this will transfer the wireless settings across from the host pc.

ed-0 19:13 19 Feb 07

If no go.

Use system restore to go back to a day before you installed the software.

Insert the belkin cdrom, stop the software installation. Insert the belkin usb dongle, let windows look for the software, point it to the cdrom if need be. let it just load the drivers. Continue anyway when it says they are not certified.

You hardware should now be installed and ready to use.

Hi skidzy

skidzy 19:20 19 Feb 07

Hi ed-0
Hope all is well my friend.

I had a very similar problem to this with a d-link adaptor.I ended up using the control panel wizard.Then installed the driver from cd.

ed-0,

without hijacking this thread...can you have a look at my posting click here at Mon, [email protected]:16 in reply to keef66.I can explain more if needed to via email,just do not want to hijack this thread.Its the Asrock board

Rhuddlan 16:03 23 Feb 07

Tried setting it up through the wireless network setup in control panel and that told me to insert my USB Flash driver into my access point first, then into other copmputer I want to set up on the network, my access point hasn't got a USB connection.

I inserted the Belkin USB dongle into the laptop, the drivers attempt to install, asks me for the location of the drivers, I select the Win XP drivers from the disc but it says this location is not correct and to insert the correct CD, but there is only one Belkin cd that I have.

Can anyone please advise further?

ed-0 17:22 23 Feb 07

have you tried my suggestion. I must of set up a dozen or more belkin usb dongles.

Install via the belkin setup utility has never worked fro me.

" I inserted the Belkin USB dongle into the laptop, the drivers attempt to install, asks me for the location of the drivers, I select the Win XP drivers from the disc but it says this location is not correct and to insert the correct CD, but there is only one Belkin cd that I have. "

If you have removed all trace of the old installations AND have the disk inserted into the cdrom drive. It should not ask for the driver disk. It should find it and install automatically.

the exception is if you have more than one optical drive. if you have. System restore and use the other optical drive.

Rhuddlan 08:01 24 Feb 07

Will try your suggestion and report back.

Thanks, Mat.

Rhuddlan 08:18 24 Feb 07

Ed-0,

I used Systsem Restore to go back to the day before I installed the Belkin Software.

Computer restarted, inserted the Belkin CD-ROM, no installation started, put the USB dongle in, found new hardware wizard started, chose no to connect to Windows update (as I haven't an net connection on this laptop...yet!) searched for the hardware, found drivers on disc, chose Win XP drivers, new hardware installed and ready to use.

Found my home network through the wireless net connection, but a message now appears saying Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again. Have refreshed, my network has it's network strengh as full and is connected, but still can't connect.

Thank Ed-0 I finally managed to install the drivers, just connecting to the network now is the only problem,

Any ideas?

ed-0 10:04 24 Feb 07

1) take the power and telephone socket out of the router for 10 seconds, reconnect.

2) right click the wireless icon on the task bar, pick repair.

3) right click wireless icon and view available networks, refresh. If you network appears, use the connect tab and place the wireless wep key in the box, if the router is protected.

Rhuddlan 11:51 24 Feb 07

Thanks Ed-0 will try.

I did enter the WEP key earlier but couldn't fit it all in the box.

Rhuddlan 11:59 24 Feb 07

Ed-0,

My router does not now appear in the wireless networks list.

I switched the power off the router, unplugged the phone line for 10 seconds, right clicked the wireless network connection in the taskabr and chose repair, couldn't repair the connection, but I only have next door's router on the list now, after refreshing it still doesn't show my network.

My network key (WEP) is too long to fit into the box. It has 26 numbers in it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…