Belkin usb adapter problems

Bedazzle 16:25 01 May 06

Hi

I've got a desktop with a Belkin usb network adapter that does not want to connect with my Speedtouch wireless router.

The router is fine because my laptop works fine with it wirelessly in the same room.

This is probably something really basic but I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Belkin usb adapter but I'm obviously doing something terribly wrong because it now says I have 15 wireless networks!

Does anyone know how I could uninstall and reinstall this Belkin adapter properly?

Thank you

mgmcc 17:22 01 May 06

If you are using Windows XP with SP2, I would suggest you uninstall the Belkin software via Add/Remove in Control Panel.

Then go into Device Manager, expand the "Network Adapters" category, click the "View" menu and select "Show Hidden Devices". Then uninstall all items which relate directly to your Belkin USB Adapter. You may have to reboot after doing this. Reboot *without* the USB adapter attached.

Once running, plug the adapter in and let Windows "find new hardware". Follow the wizard and select the option to install from a specific location. Insert the CD, but *DON'T* run it. If it starts automatically, exit again. Continue with the wizard and browse to the "Drivers" folder on the CD from which Windows should install the adapter WITHOUT the Belkin wireless software.

If the Wireless Network Connection in the Network Connections folder has a silly number such as 16, just rename it to get rid of the number at the end.

Bedazzle 12:19 03 May 06

Ok, I tried everything that you suggested, mgmcc, the problem is now I can't connect wirelessly to the wireless router at all. Under Device Mananager there are no problems with the driver that I can see. But in network connections there is a red cross through the wireless network icon.

Ipconfi shows

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 20:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Local Areal Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138

And when I try to uninstall the adapter now from Add/Remove in Control Panel, it's not even there.

I've also tried installing just using the cd (which is what the guy who sold it to me told me I should do) but I have no joy there either.

mgmcc 13:34 03 May 06

<<< But in network connections there is a red cross through the wireless network icon. >>>

In the Network Connections folder, you now need to right click the "Wireless Network Connection' and select View Available Wireless Networks. This will now be done using Windows own software. Highlight your network and click the Connect button.

<<< And when I try to uninstall the adapter now from Add/Remove in Control Panel, it's not even there. >>>

No, it won't be because you haven't installed any software. You've only installed the hardware drivers for the adapter.

Bedazzle 14:49 03 May 06

<<<In the Network Connections folder, you now need to right click the "Wireless Network Connection' and select View Available Wireless Networks.>>>

I did this and selected my wireless router network, but when I clicked on connect the wireless router network disappeared. Now when try and click on View Available Wireless Networks, my router is not there.

One more thing, when I originally tried to uninstall everything related to my Belkin Adapter before reinstalling it again,under Device Manager and Network Adapters I was unable to uninstall the "Belkin wireless usb adapter packet scheduler mini point".

mgmcc 20:42 03 May 06

What I would try is to install the USB adapter in the laptop (drivers only) and see if it works there. That will identify whether or not there is a hardware fault with the adapter. If the laptop has built-in WiFi, that would need to be disabled.

...but only try it if you feel comfortable with installing the adapter in the laptop.

mgmcc 20:43 03 May 06

<<< I was unable to uninstall the "Belkin wireless usb adapter packet scheduler mini point" >>>

You probably won't be able to uninstall these, but it doesn't matter.

Bedazzle 13:10 04 May 06

<<<What I would try is to install the USB adapter in the laptop (drivers only) and see if it works there.>>>

Not sure what you mean by "drivers only"...

I tried installing the adapter on the laptop, just using the "Found New Hardware Wizard", disabled the wifi on the laptop, and during the installation it came up with a message saying that it needed the file "rt2500sub.sys". So I chose to search on the CD under drivers and then it said installation completed.

But in internet connections when I click on the Belkin wireless icon and try to view "available wireless networks", it says none are available.

So I then tried to download the adapter using the CD's software, and again it comes up with a message about file "rt2500sub.sys", so this time when it recommends that I search in the C/Windows/...I click on ok, and it downloads for ever so that eventually I have to cancel.

I then try updating the driver from the website, but the software that it runs on my computer is the same as the one on my installation CD, and again the message comes up about "rt2500sub.sys", so I'm not sure what the problem is. Possibly a bad driver?

The thing is, sometimes when I try installing this adapter, it does see the router, but when I go to connect it disappears...

mgmcc 19:42 04 May 06

The driver is actually "rt2500usb.sys" and it is in the "Drivers" folder on the CD. During the installation, you need to "Browse" to the Drivers folder on the CD and Windows should then find the correct file. It will probably run the rt2500usb.inf file which will instruct it to install the .sys file.

I actually installed a Belkin PCI WiFi card in my PC this afternoon and didn't even use the CD. I just let it search on the internet for the driver and it installed a later copy of the RT2500.sys file than that on the CD.

I cannot explain why trying to connect to the network causes it to disappear. Does that happen when it is installed in either computer? If so, and if it is properly installed as shown in Device Manager, it could be faulty hardware.

Bedazzle 10:10 07 May 06

You were right, mgmcc, the adapter itself was faulty. I tried installing it on two computers and both times it looked ok in device manager but would either not connect or not find the wireless network.
Have just bought a new Belkin adapter and it works fine!

The faulty Belkin adapter I bought from ebay, and the seller's offering no refund!

Anyways, thanks for the helpful advice, mgmcc.

Bedazzle 10:11 07 May 06

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…