Belkin surge protector

merc. 17:58 18 Sep 10

Had to get new power unit fitted to my computer this week which is plugged into the Belkin F5C206u2 tel3, which we think may have been caused by the storm last week.

When I refitted all the cables and plug the computer into the Belkin I noticed one of the warning lights was not on as the unit is under my desk this has not been noticed before.

The Earthed light is on but the Protected light is not, does this mean the unit is faulty and needs replaced,have had unit since 2001.

Thanks again

Merc

birdface 18:01 18 Sep 10

Switch it off for a minute and then switch it back on and see if it works Ok.

merc. 20:06 18 Sep 10

buteman
my Belkin still works OK but I was wondering if it is still protecting my system because this light is not on cant find any thing on the internet to say so.

Merc

peugeot man 20:29 18 Sep 10

If your computer was connected to a Belikn surge protector and damaged, not only will Belkin replace the surge protector they may meet the cost of repairing the computer.

I would suggest you give Belkin a call or check this link.

click here

sunnystaines 21:25 18 Sep 10

never protected my system my phone,m/b, psu,cpu all burnt out one night. pc now turned off at bedtime and during lightning storms during the day.

merc. 21:33 18 Sep 10

Thanks all looks like I will give Belkin a call on Monday.

Merec

westom1 03:54 19 Sep 10

> When I refitted all the cables and plug the computer into the Belkin I noticed
> one of the warning lights was not on as the unit is under my desk this has not
> been noticed before.

Often a surge too small to overwhelm protection inside an appliance will destroy a plug-in protector. Undersizing is how sales are promoted. Effective protectors earth surges - even direct lightning strikes - and remain functional. But that would not promoted sales among the many who know only what they were told to believe.

That protector circuit completely failed. But the computer remained connected. IOW the protector circuit disconnected as fast as possible to avert a house fire (and promote sales). But the computer was left to fend for itself. Most of the time, protection already inside every computer protects the computer. Then many credit the grossly undersized protector.

In your case, the protector did not protection. The surge was large enough to also overwhelm protection inside the computer.

Effective ‘protection’ is always about where energy dissipates. Effective ‘protectors’ are located where that energy might enter the building and be absorbed. Once energy is permitted inside a building, then a surge goes hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Then nothing stops that hunt. Meanwhile undersizing a protector causes it to fail on surges too small to damage any appliance – to promote sales.

Effective protection even from direct lighting strikes means nobody knew that surge existed. Means energy was not inside a building. Means a protector does not fail. You did not have the well proven and effective solution. You had a profit center which is why you had computer damage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…