Belkin slow on one particular site. (cgi problem?

malchik 16:08 15 Nov 06

Hello all,
I recently installed a Belkin wireless g for a client. She has a Windows 98 machine with no network card so unfortunately it's connected via a belkin ethernet to usb thingy.
She also has a laptop which connects wirelessly. Both of these work fine and the connection is excellent but one particular site is problematic. this is Ryanair.com. When she requests
flight details the site begins to load a .cgi page and does so forever. Eventually it loads or times out. This happens on both computers and on my laptop when connected to her network.
I also checked it using Firefox instead of IE and checked it having disabled Norton firewall. I re-ran the belkin configuration and made sure there were no sites blocked. The site works fine on my own network.
So I imagine it's either her ISP, the Belkin router, or the fact that the router is connected using the ethernet/usb thingy. Before I advise her to buy and install a network card, and then
find out that wasn't the answer, could anyone help with this problem? Perhaps it's a known situation?
Many thanks in advance

Finlay

Ashrich 21:45 16 Nov 06

Well you can rule out the USB to Ethernet adapter as the laptops have the same problem and they don't go through the USB port , they connect directly via wireless , and if no sites were blocked in the router ( firewall off ? ) then it is probably her ISP , or just the fact that it is a busy site with a rubbish server .....

Ashley

malchik 22:16 16 Nov 06

My first thought was a rubbish server, but I can access it fine from home. So the ISP is the problem... or is it? I remain suspicious of the router. she claims to have no problem if she connects directly using her dsl modem.

malchik 14:45 17 Nov 06

Anyone any ideas? Has anyone ever come across anything similar?

malchik 17:45 27 Nov 06

Well, here's the answer if anyone's interested. Turns out the connection was set up to use PPPoE when in fact it should have been PPPoA. A little thing but meaningful....

Aargh 10:58 28 Nov 06

P**sPoorPerformanceoverEthernet, or P**sPoorPerformanceonAirline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now