belkin router and virgin media cable broadband

merrpet 11:07 19 Aug 07

GRR!!

ok so i have my belkin router plugged into my modem, and my laptop can see it and says connection excellent.. but i still have no internet on my laptop!!
its driving me nuts now!
asked someone who has same set up and tho they cant remember what it is they are sure it is to do with it being virgin cable and that i would needs to change a setting or something... anyone got any ideas?

recap 16:01 19 Aug 07

I use Virgin with a D-Link wireless router and the only thing I had to do on the 2 laptops for the wireless connection was type in the encrypted key. Once I had done that everything works fine. Oh and disabled Windows firewall.

merrpet 16:14 19 Aug 07

tried it with firewall off and on, and there no encryption key as it not secure... yet!! want to get it connected before i even attempt to then secure it!

really is driving me nuts now, been trying for 2 days, been on belkin site no luck!

merrpet 16:14 19 Aug 07

and of course there is nothing to help on the virgin site!

Strawballs 16:58 19 Aug 07

I am assuming that it is a cable router and not an ADSL router?

merrpet 17:07 19 Aug 07

yup its a cable router. belkin g plus mimo cable router

lil27 21:53 19 Aug 07

Dear merrpet,

I have a belkin G+ router, model below yours (not a mimo).

I connected my cables as instructed and ran the quick installation guide (CD supplied) with router. I got connected straight away (sorry). I didn't do anything special that i know of.

Once set up I had to go the the manual config page to enable security settings but that was it.

I do have some connection problems but this is to do with range and nothing to do with the router.

By the way I am on vista if youre wondering.

Lil

Mad Will 21:57 19 Aug 07

First Thing
have you Used the cd that came with the Router to set it up? If No Try And Use It Beacuse It Will Help You During setup of the Router

If you have used the cd then try and unplug the cable modem and the router, then plug your router in then the cable modem this will then hopeflly get your internet working

merrpet 08:30 22 Aug 07

got it sorted, thanks for all your suggestions... the problem was that the modem was connected via a usb cable, i had to change that one to a ethernet then reinstall virgin bb on the main comp, after doing that it worked just fine!

Roger the Camel 18:36 30 Aug 07

Hi,
I was just reading your blog looking for help with a new router that I have just bought. I was not aware that there was a distinction between wireless ADSL and wireless cable routhers. I thought ADSL was a synonym for broadband? I am a vigin media customer and currently use a cable modem with ethernet - do I need to buy another router to connect with my Virgin Media cable?
Thanks

Strawballs 22:14 30 Aug 07

You should really have started your own thread, but if you have bought an ADSL modem/router then you have the wrong one for cable, any one of these will do click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant