Belkin Printer Autoswitch

griffo 15:59 02 Apr 06

I have installed a Belkin F1U109 Reversible Parallel Autoswitch (had it knocking around for ages), to use 2 printers with one PC. The software seemed to install OK and I've followed all the setting instructions but when I try to print a test page on either printer, I just get the beginings of the top of the page on the Brother HL2040, then the rest of the page is blank and it goes on churning out endless blank pages. The other printer (HP deskjet 940C) just prints 2 small diamonds in the top left corner, then does the same as the HL 2040.

Any suggestions please folks?

Mikè 16:11 02 Apr 06

Why not connect one printer to a usb port and don't use the switch?

spuds 16:42 02 Apr 06

I used a printer switch device and had similar problems. Went for the usb method and default, and all as worked perfectly since. Less clutter as well.

griffo 16:43 02 Apr 06

that seems like a sound idea. I have tried it but can't work out how to get the HL2040 to work. The setup process doesn't seem to offer me the option of selecting a USB port?

Mikè 16:48 02 Apr 06

"that seems like a sound idea. I have tried it but can't work out how to get the HL2040 to work. The setup process doesn't seem to offer me the option of selecting a USB port?"

No but I bet the HP does, then connect the Brother to your parallel port.

griffo 17:01 02 Apr 06

Done that and you're quite right, the HP is now working on the USB and printed a test page OK. However, the HL2040 is still doing the same trick when I try a test page??

interzone55 17:49 02 Apr 06

Check your connections. I've found that when a printer connected to a parallel port starts churning out crap the cable is invariably at fault.

I assume that now you have one printer connected to a USB port you have dispensed with the switch. Ensure that the printer end of the parallel lead is sucurely fastened to the printer, and the PC end is fully screwed in.

If this doesn't solve the problem try using a different lead, as any break in the wire will cause problems, long wires often get chair wheels rolled over them which can damage the wires.

Mikè 17:55 02 Apr 06

click here download link for manual, usb setup is covered dont forget to install drivers first.

spuds 17:56 02 Apr 06

You are using the correct parallel cable, and not a cross-over!

griffo 20:01 02 Apr 06

It was the cable, I changed it for a newer Belkin one and it's fine. All sorted now, thanks to each of you for your kind help.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…