Belkin & NTL Problems, please help.

oskarr 15:59 31 Dec 05

Have just purchased a belkin wireless usb adaptor, and have ntl cable modem plugged into a wireless belkin router. I can get a good-excellent signal, and can get on to the net, but when i try to download a file, after a few seconds, i lose the connection completely, and the usb adaptor can no longer see the network. I then have to unplug and reconnect the adaptor. Anybody have any suggestions as to the problem?

Thanks..

LAP 18:54 31 Dec 05

I don't think you have this quite right. Wireless I take it to mean no cables connected to any computer. If your belkin router has its own modem, in which case your belkin should have a power cable and a phone attached and nothing else.

oskarr 20:01 31 Dec 05

There is a seperate cable modem, which is connected to the router via an ethernet cable, and i am connecting to the router with the wireless usb adaptor on my computer.

Thanks..

mgmcc 20:28 31 Dec 05

<<< If your belkin router has its own modem, in which case your belkin should have a power cable and a phone attached and nothing else. >>>

NTL's "Cable Broadband" service is not delivered via the phone line and it doesn't use a combined "Router/ADSL Modem". A "stand-alone" (Cable/DSL) Router connects by ethernet cable to the supplied "Cable Modem".

mgmcc 20:34 31 Dec 05

You could try giving the USB wireless adapter a fixed IP address in the same subnet as the router, i.e 192.168.2.xxx and see if that helps. Something like:

IP address - 192.168.2.50

Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address)

DNS Server - 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address)

Something else to try is to change the wireless network's channel number. The default is usually Channel 11; try changing to "7" or "4".

Make sure your wireless kit isn't close to other wireless devices, in particular a cordless phone. being close to central heating radiators can also cause problems with the wireless signal.

LAP 10:21 01 Jan 06

That told me

aman_vtr 11:55 02 Jan 06

i also have this problem with the belkin wireless g router. it just seems to power off. it not only does this with the wireless connection but also with my other PC that is hard wired to it. i will try the above change but plz let me know if u have fixed the peoblem. thank you

alfarick 13:11 05 Jan 06

Is your router running hot? It could be faulty. Mine ran really hot and kept switching off, I exchanged it at PC World and the new one stays cool all the time with no power offs.

MattEllis 11:30 11 Jan 06

I had the exact same problem, I exchanged my usb adapter for the wireless network card, problem solved.

fredhead40 16:19 13 Jan 06

Not sure if this helps but have you checked the power management tab in the usb properties as there is a tick box that allows windows to manage your USB's in order to save power it automatically switches them off.

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…