BELKIN NETWORK USB HUB

Bertie B 13:19 10 Nov 09

My present Network is based on a BT HomeHub 2.0 with all computers accessing via wi-fi. To facilitate easy USB Printer and USB HDD sharing I have these connected to a Belkin Network USB Hub which in turn connects by ethernet cable to the BT HomeHub. Belkin Software then fools each wi-fi connected PC into believing that the usb printers/drives are connected directly to it - all works quite well. Both BT Hub and Belkin Hub together with connected Printers/Drives are located upstairs in a small office. HOWEVER - all is about to change as next week I am going on to the BT Fibre Optic Broadband Trial which will require that the new fibre optic modem/router be connected directly to the BT Master Tel. Socket downstairs. QUESTION So as to be able to continue to use the Belkin USB Hub ( and to avoid re-siting the latter together with printers & drives to the lounge) - is there any way I can avoid running a 6 metre length of ethernet cable between the new BT HomeHub downstairs and the Belkin USB Hub upstairs? I have been pondering whether there might be some way of using my old ethernet wired Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem/Router by connecting this by ethernet cable to the Belkin Hub and then using a wireless access point with the DG834 to connect to the network. Would such a set up work - i.e. two modem routers on the same network? Another possiblilty is the use of my old mark 1 or 1.5 Bt HomeHub which I understand could be re-configured as a wi-fi access point.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers Bertie

Jollyjohn 15:26 10 Nov 09

It will be a good project to set up the second router and wap however I would run the ethernet cable to the Belkin hub.

Jollyjohn 15:30 10 Nov 09

Alternatively you could use a couple of "homeplugs"
click here
This would give a wired connection without having to run the cable.

Bertie B 15:52 10 Nov 09

Many thanks JollyJohn!!

The Home Plug solution looks interesting - more expensive than the ethernet cable solution but more likely to please SWMBO who possesses the customary female aversion to cables!

I presume the Home Plugs are well supressed to prevent data interruption from spikes etc. in the power supply.

Cheers

Jollyjohn 16:44 10 Nov 09

Yes homeplugs work well and I think are the solution for you as they give a bit more flexibility for re arranging rooms tha n running the ethernet cable from a - b.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…