Belkin Modem and Wirless router set up problem

Billybobs 20:36 12 Dec 05

Help! i am new to networking... I have bought a new wirless g enabled laptop and a Belkin modem and wirless router. But I wooringly I can't get past the initial stages of setup. I have plugged in all the cables requested (supplied ethernet cable to main PC - DSL line to telephone with microfilter- and power) ADSL led steady and power - but the wirless and wired connection led are blinking and the big problem is that I cannot connect to the internet via my ISP Pipex. The error message I get is the the modem is busy.

i have taken off the router and plugged in my old modem and have connected OK - so ISP settings are right. All the configuration for the Belkin router isweb based - so I am flumoxed.....

Any help? - in easy to understand terms please :)

mgmcc 22:55 12 Dec 05

When you install a router, it is the *router* and not the PC that connects to the ISP. You need to set up the ADSL connection in the Belkin's settings and then, once it is online, any computer that is connected to the router will automatically have internet access over the LAN.

Billybobs 23:00 12 Dec 05

I'm sorry if I am being slow on this... but as far as I can tell you have to go online to configure the router... how do i set up the router if I can't go online? It seems to be called a "web-based management user-interface of the router" accessed by internet browser... does that actualy mean it has to go online - I have tried to enter the 192.168.1.1 in the address bar but it keeps telling me it can't conect??

mgmcc 23:11 12 Dec 05

A router is configured by entering its IP address into a web browser - you don't actually have to be "online" to the internet to be able to do this.

The default IP address of Belkin routers is usually 192.168.2.1

Billybobs 23:16 12 Dec 05

doh! Thank you I will try again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…