belkin modem router problem

melbaz 16:29 21 Dec 08

I am a complete novice so any replies need to be in non tech jargon...

I currently have BTBroadband and connect using BT Voyager 105 Modem, I have bought a laptop and wanted to install a wireless modem so have bought a Belkin Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router.

I have followed the set up instructions and the set up goes right to the end and states is is completed but I am unable to get a connection for the internet.

Also when I use the modem troubleshooter the modem which has just been installed cannot be found.

Any ideas on what I need to do

Thanks

ambra4 17:39 21 Dec 08

OK you had a Voyager 105 USB Modem, which worked fine

You removed the USB modem and installed the Belkin Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router

And connected a RJ45 Ethernet cable from Port 1 on the Router to the LAN socket on your Computer

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable

to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

Have you setup the Lan card on the computer?

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN

Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly.

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on all Computers

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click-Start-Settings-Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection”

Right-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

At bottom of display tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click-Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Click- Advanced-Click-WINS Tab-Tick-Enable LMHOSTS Lookup if untick

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

Other Lan Card Setting Should Read

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Hardware Default (Auto)

Click – Connection Type – Change to Auto-Negotiation

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power
Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection- Click New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

ambra4 17:40 21 Dec 08

In the router check that the setting is correct

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

No need to worry about the Wireless system just yet, once you can access the Internet via the Ethernet cable you can than work on getting the wireless working do one thing at a time

ambra4 18:00 21 Dec 08

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup and Lan Card setting

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to the factory default

setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing the power cable if you

cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the router to refresh the setting from

your ISP servers in the local telephone exchange

melbaz 18:03 21 Dec 08

Thanks

I will have a go

melbaz 19:06 21 Dec 08

I have done as you said and now have an internet connection.

I may sound totally thick but does this now change my broadband connection that I previously had with my ISP. I only ask as in my 'Network Connections' I can no longer use my BT Broadband icon but now use the LAN icon to connect, is this correct.

Will I need to do anything to connect the laptop, it is wireless enabled so presumed it would just pick up the connection without me having to do anything?

Thanks again

ambra4 21:19 21 Dec 08

“I can no longer use my BT Broadband icon but now use the LAN icon to connect, is this correct.”

Yes, this is correct where before you had to dial up using the USB modem now you are connected all the time

“but does this now change my broadband connection that I previously had with my ISP”

No, your broadband connect is still the same just thought a difference route

ambra4 21:20 21 Dec 08

“Will I need to do anything to connect the laptop, it is wireless enabled so presumed it would just pick up the connection without me having to do anything?”

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

Make sure that the wireless is Enable

If you not going to use the wireless Disable it

You now have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com,

Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06

/ ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network from other wireless around

You should also change the Wireless Channel No the default is normally Channel 11 which most

persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from

other network close by using channel 11

Save on a flash drive using notepad, as the same SSID name and Channel No and

Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless

system

You do not have to set-up the security system just yet make sure that you have access to router via

the wireless system and can access the Internet.

ambra4 21:30 21 Dec 08

Wireless Laptop Set Up

Connect an Ethernet Cable to the Lan port and set up the Lan card as listed above

Once you have Internet access via the Lan port disconnect the cable and “Enable” the Wireless card

the switch on the computer only turn on the Wireless Card Antenna you may also have to Enable the

Wireless card

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click Wireless Network Connection-Enable or Disable

as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

A wireless icon should appear in the task bar

If no wireless icon in task bar do the following

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right Click Wireless Network Connection – Properties

At bottom of display page tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A wireless display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

If using Windows Vista, Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in the computers on both the Wired Lan card

and the Wireless Card

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

Right-click the wireless network icon and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

The Wireless Network Connection window should appear and you should see your wireless

network listed with the network name you choose.

If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper-left corner.

Click your network SSID name, and then click Connect in the lower-right corner

Windows XP will prompt you to enter a security key if you have install a security code on the router

Copy and paste the encryption key that you entered in the wireless section of the router.

You have to enter the key in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then

click Connect.

If the Wireless Network Connection window continues to show Acquiring Network Address,

you have enter the wrong encryption key.

Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network

After you're connected, you can now close the Wireless Network Connection window.

Check that you can access the Internet. You're done.

Once the wireless device can access the Internet install the security system using WPA security

ambra4 21:36 21 Dec 08

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System can save you some problems

click here

click here

click here

There is also no need to keep turning off the Wireless Antenna to disconnect from the router

wireless system right click on the wireless icon in the task bar and click Disable

To restart the wireless system – Setting – Network Connection – Right click on the Wireless

Network Connection and click Enable

ambra4 21:43 21 Dec 08

Question said by first time user of ADSL Wireless Broadband

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect at 100Mbps, the wireless system connect at 0Mbps –

54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the Local Area Network Connection

unless you have a wireless card on the main computer

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time.

As this can causes conflict within the router

On some laptop the wireless card is disconnected automatic if an Ethernet cable is connected to the

laptop Lan port

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older

laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Using a build in normal wireless card or adapter to connect to a 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps,

wireless router will only connect at 54Mbps

You must buy a separate108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, USB adapter or PCI card from the same

manufacture as the router for each wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant