Belkin laptop wireless card

CJGOOD 16:06 07 Nov 05

I have recently bought a Belkin notepad card. The installation process semed to go OK, and I can connect to wireless networks and hotspots. However, I always get the "This page cannot be displayed" web page and cannot access the internet.

Does anybody know anything that can help me?

mgmcc 09:03 08 Nov 05

Is the wireless card getting its addresses properly from a DHCP server - IP, Subnet, Gateway, DNS servers?

Does the PC get online normally with a "wired" internet connection (dialup, USB broadband, wired LAN etc)?

sqnldrjimbo 18:21 08 Nov 05

To ensure access to the internet you need to configure the notebook depending on how your internet connection is hosted. If it is through your main PC you need to allow sharing of that PC's intenet connection and then on the notebook you need to go to Tools - Internet Options - Connections and select never dial a connection and ensure automatically detect settings is checked on LAN settings.
However, if you are going through a Router you need to put that router's gateway address (e.g.192.168.1.2)in the Advanced TCP/IP settings of your Notebook Wirelees Network settings and tick Aotomatic metric. In Tools - Internet Options - Connections select never dial a connection and ensure automatically detect settings is unchecked on LAN settings.
If going through a hotspot the notebook settings should be as the former settings I have described.
Hope this works.

CJGOOD 19:36 21 Nov 05

Thanks for the replies guys. However, I a bit of a techno peasent so i'm not sure what you mean by DHCP server. All I know is that when I go into a wireless hot spot, such as an airport or hotel with wireless, I double click the internet explorer icon and there is no connection. the screen loads but the screen finally displays "page could not be displayed". However, when I go into the settings for the network there is a signal and all seems to be connected

mgmcc 20:39 21 Nov 05

<<< i'm not sure what you mean by DHCP server. >>>

When the TCP/IP settings of a network adapter are configured to get the IP address automatically, the adapter looks for a "DHCP server" to get the address from. This is a server which allocates the IP address using "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol".

If you connect two computers in a network and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the internet connection in the "host" PC, that PC will act as a DHCP server to allocate the IP address to the "client" PC.

Similarly, when you connect to the internet through an ISP, the ISP allocates an IP address to your computer, this is done by "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol" (DHCP).

<<< when I go into a wireless hot spot, such as an airport or hotel with wireless, I double click the internet explorer icon and there is no connection. the screen loads but the screen finally displays "page could not be displayed" >>>

There is a bit more involved than simply opening Internet Explorer and expecting a page to display. You need to open the adapters software (or Windows' wireless software if using that), get the Site Monitor to scan for "Available Networks" to connect to, select the appropriate network and "connect" to it. Then you should be able to access web pages, subject to having the appropriate authorisation to access that wireless network (i.e. probably having paid an outrageous amount of money for the dubious privilege!)

CJGOOD 19:36 22 Nov 05

I have scanned for available networks and then connected to it. However, once connected I still cannot access the internet.

mgmcc 20:18 22 Nov 05

What have you connected to - a public WiFi hotspot or a domestic wireless network?

The adapter needs to get its addresses (IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Servers) from whatever "Available Network" you have connected to, before you will be able to get online.

CJGOOD 21:05 22 Nov 05

A Wifi Hotspot

mgmcc 21:29 22 Nov 05

OK, so has the adapter got its IP address etc from the network you have connected to?

CJGOOD 06:46 23 Nov 05

no. It says that it is retreiving the ip address but never does

mgmcc 12:36 23 Nov 05

Can you ask the organisation which is providing the 'hotspot' for instructions on how to connect to their service? Until the adapter gets its IP address, the connection isn't going anywhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…