Belkin f5d7050 and voyager 2091 prob

wd5hme 19:13 23 Aug 06

I've installed a Belkin f5d7050 usb wireless adapter on my kids computer (win xp). The computer sees the router but I can't surf, I'm not getting dns. Belkin tech says it's because the voyager is set to channel 5 and Belkin products like chan 1-6.

I've tried setting the ip and gateway manually to 192.168.1.100 (sub net 255.255.255.0), 192.168.1.1 and dns server to 195.168.1.1

Still no luck.

I've uninstalled the belkin software and manually installed the drivers using windows. Still no luck. The voyager just won't auto assign an ip address to the computer.

I can't find a way to change the channel on the voyager.

I have another desktop connected via a usb cable to the router as well as a wireless laptop and both work fine.

mgmcc 20:09 23 Aug 06

<<< Belkin tech says it's because the voyager is set to channel 5 and Belkin products like chan 1-6 >>>

I always thought 5 was somewhere between 1 and 6, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I've always used my three Belkin adapters (PCI, PCMCIA & USB) on the default channel of my two routers, which is 11, without problems.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Generally, assigning fixed IP and other addresses is not a good idea because it hides the fact that adapter and router are not communicating. There are reasons for using fixed IP addressing, but not at the stage where you are initially trying to get them to talk to one another.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now