Belkin connectivity problem.

Chippo 11:39 27 Dec 05

Just got Belkin wireless P5D7231.

On opening says to connent cable from modem to computer into rear of belkin router. Trouble is cable going into my PC is a USB type but going into router is different.

Have I got wrong router or can I get a different cable.

If I change cable to what port on PC will it go in.

mgmcc 13:19 27 Dec 05

The model number is actually F5D7231 and this is a "stand-alone" Cable/DSL router sutable for connection to a modem that supports an ethernet connection.

This is ideal if you have Cable broadband (NTL or Telewest) but if your sevice is ADSL over the phone line, you really need a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" to replace the USB modem.

To connect to a wireless router, the PC should have [a] a "wired" network adapter installed (required for the initial configuration of the router) and [b] if you want to connect "wirelessly, a Wireless Network adapter.

Chippo 18:31 27 Dec 05

Cheers MGMCC

Been down to PCW today and was advised to buy Linksys ADSL Gateway with modem WAG54GS and a wireless USB network adaptor WUSB54GS and it still wont bloody work as I apparently need an ethernet adaptor to set up the modem in the first place.

CAn anyone pleaase just tell me very simply what make. model etc I need to get this up anfd running.

At the mo I'm running an ADSL modem to my main PC thru a USB cable.

I want to connent wirelessly two laptops to this system.

Any help gratefully received.

Newuser4343 19:44 27 Dec 05

Do you have cable broadband or ADSL

mgmcc 20:31 27 Dec 05

<<< it still wont bloody work as I apparently need an ethernet adaptor to set up the modem in the first place >>>

...which is what I said in my earlier posting.

However, as you have a PC and two laptops, surely one of the three has a network adapter installed which you could use just for the initial configuration? It doesn't matter which computer you use to set it all up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…