Belarc will not open

swapper 09:33 23 Feb 06

I have used Belarc in the past on my PC,
I now find, after installing it again that it will not open.

It initially opened in Notepad.
I now get the message "we recommend that you use HyperTerminal as your Telnet Programme" Yes or NO.

I have tried to resolve this problem. no luck
My PC is used as a server for testing. is this what is causing me a problem?

If I open the file with a programme called HTML-Kit I can see the result from Belarc.

Any ideas please?

TIA

rawprawn 09:46 23 Feb 06

System restore ?

Les 09:57 23 Feb 06

This is how I view the results of using Belarc.

Open the Belarc Folder, click on the Advisor Folder Icon. You should find a file with the extension .bci , right click on this file. Move the pointer on to 'Open with' and you get a list. On my list the first item reads 'Belarc Advisor and Belmonitor Client Discovery' - on clicking that the results of my Belarc scan are shown.

Hope this is so in your case.

Les 10:00 23 Feb 06

I am using the latest version of Belarc (7.01), OS XP Home.

swapper 10:51 23 Feb 06

rawprawn, thanks,it looks as if I may have to, but I cannot understand why this problem has occurred?

Les, tried as you suggested but got the same result :-( thanks anyway.

Les 11:55 23 Feb 06

My memory is not what it was but I think that I had a similar problem some years ago - I uninstalled the troublesome program and then installed a fresh copy. Belarc 7.01 works a treat - when installed it puts a shortcut icon on the desltop - I believe that this must be used. I have just right clicked this icon, selecyed Properties and had a look at the entry under Target - it's worth a look as there is no way (I think!) that we could come up with that one.

Good Luck

swapper 20:23 27 Feb 06

Les, thanks for that, I have tried as you suggested but got the same response, I will go to Belarc support if there is one.
If I get a result I will post here.

swapper 10:14 12 Mar 06

Les, I mailed Belarc twice both to the USA and the UK. but did not get a response, not good at all.

I will leave it for a while and try again.

Thanks anyway

swapper 10:47 12 Mar 06

Just after I made my comment, I went back into
The Belarc Folder - Belarc/Advisor/System/tmp/
here were two html files, Home and Licence,
within the properties of each I found that they were opening (or attemtping to open) with Hyper Terminal Applet? I changed it to open with Internet explorer and Bingo!! it is running fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant