being able to read dbx files

Damarc 18:34 PM 13 Nov 11

In transferring old emails to new computer, they materialised into dbx files and I can't open them. Have searched for freebie software but have been lulled into so called 'free' software to find out that I have to register for a trial or buy it after I've gone through the installing process.

Can I have a truly free software to do this or another way of opening up these files please?

lotvic 18:40 PM 13 Nov 11

Like all files, they need a specific type of program to open them.

.dbx is a database of your emails and used by Outlook Express (your previous email client).

You need to import them into your present email client. That may or may not be easy depending on which email client you are using on your new computer.

Please post details of new computer and client in use and then someone who knows how to import them to your new email client will be able to help you.

VoG II 18:41 PM 13 Nov 11

In Windows Live Mail, click the Left Hand tab, select Import, click Next, In the Browse Dialog brows to the folder that contains your messages.

Damarc 19:01 PM 13 Nov 11

I've got adell studio and use ms office outlook, same as old pc. I thought I could click on file (without being in ms outlook) and it would automatically open in it.

VoG II 19:04 PM 13 Nov 11

Nope. you need to go to Import, then import the FOLDER.

Sea Urchin 19:19 PM 13 Nov 11

.dbx files are used by Outlook Express, whereas MS Outlook stores mail as .pst files

Here's how to transfer them across from one computer to another

Transfer Mail

Damarc 10:16 AM 18 Nov 11

I've tried the import method and still need help. I have a file which I saved from my old pc with the dbx extension. When I tried to import in MS Outlook from 'another file or programme' there wasn't a choice for this, only 'Outlook express versions'. When I clicked on OExpress I was expecting there to be a further choice of file location, which there wasn't. It just said there were no Outlook express file.

lotvic 13:51 PM 18 Nov 11

this will open .dbx

lotvic 13:53 PM 18 Nov 11

Darn that link formatting it changes text between two _'s to italics

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016