Begginers question, which is the fastest?

hammerpoppy 09:40 16 Apr 09

Hi
I'm fairly new to computers and have two old'ish computers given to me, each with lots of various bits & bobs. I'm hoping to build the best one I can using parts from the two. My question probably seems stupid but one of the processors is an Athlon 1.24 GHz and the other is an Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz. So I assume that the celeron is the fastest, but could anyone confirm it please.
Both PCs have 512 MB of memory, but i will be upgrading that.
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 10:38 16 Apr 09

there will not be much in it with cpu. Its not just the CPU but also the Mobo etc that can and does make a difference. Why not try same things on both computers and try to judge

Quiet Life 12:13 16 Apr 09

Celerons are cheap and poor performance. I have a 450 Pentium that was noticeably quicker than a 900 Celeron. Updated the Celeron to a 1000 Pentium but Woodchip is correct the MOBO is poor and the performance is still slightly worse than the 450 Pentium.
The poor MOBO has everything on board and this may account for its performance,

keef66 13:17 16 Apr 09

bear in mind you can't switch processors from one pc to the other, they will have different sockets. Also beware that buying memory for older pcs can be quite expensive.

Consider that you can get a bundle of motherboard, cpu with cooler, and 2GB ram from Novatech for less than £100, and you'd have a system that will be a zillion times faster than your old machines ever can be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…