Beeps explained!

wotbus@ 17:10 24 Dec 03

Nice one for Christmas Eve.My friend just called me with his problem: His PC refuses to boot up after being idle for some months. Win98. It emits regularly a long "beep" which presumably is an indication of some sort,but what? Nothing appears on the monitor but the Hard Drive neon shows activity for a short time.Is anyone able to help,just by pointing in the right direction perhaps.Maybe a quick note to Father Christmas may be the answer! Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Big Elf 17:18 24 Dec 03

A visit to the motherboard manufacturers site should help. Hopefully a list of the error codes will be available. Alternatively the BIOS suppliers site also may have this information available.

wotbus@ 17:24 24 Dec 03

thanks for the steerage and Merry Christmas.

powerless 17:27 24 Dec 03
  Diemmess 17:29 24 Dec 03

If the graphics card is not fully home in its slot, or the data connection is poor, I think that could be enough to cause this long beep.

The card itself may have gone home, but a Video beep will only occur if there is no protocol handshake which is still valid even when the monitor is switched off.

Plummers 19:50 25 Dec 03

repeating long beeps are nearly always memory problems, try removing the memory, and restarting, if the same beeps are there then its either faulty or badly seated memory.
This can happen to machines that are left in rooms where temperatures alternate from extremes of hot and cold (chip creep) or, more obviously in transit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…