Beeping Laptop

s99Raj 14:14 05 Feb 06

I have a Systemax Green 732 laptop with XP Home on it. I was having problems starting it - NOTHING appears on the screen when I switch on no matter what button I press.

So I removed the hard drive and set it up as a slave on a desktop and copied across (i.e. backed up) the folders I really needed so I could start again with the laptop.

I carefully put the hard drive back into the laptop and set it up as a master again, but now when I switch the laptop on, it it immediately starts beeping one or two times a second, and continues to beep. nothing appears on the screen.

I've tried taking the hard drive out again to check all connections and put it back in but it keeps beeping again. I can't even get into the BIOS (by pressing F2). I've tried putting the Recovery CD in hoping it would start up from that, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions please?

dms05 14:53 05 Feb 06

Could you have changed the active partition on the HDD?

If you put the HDD back in the Desktop try looking with 'fdisk' click here but take care!

If you can get into BIOS maybe you can change to boot from CD and start again.

s99Raj 18:09 05 Feb 06

The problem I'm having is that NOTHING appears on the screen, no matter what buttons I press or hold down so it's really not much help. I can't get into the BIOS or Windows or anything.

Yesterday, it got into Windows but then, after about 5 miuntes, up popped the blue screen with loads of writing all over it suggesting some sort of hardware error.

So if nothing comes up on the screen, what options are there?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 05 Feb 06

Sounds like a memory problem can work loos in laptops as they are moved around).

Remove and refit all the memory modules and retry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 05 Feb 06
  s99Raj 22:06 05 Feb 06

OK, I've figured out that I can stop the beeps if I plug the laptop into the mains! The beeps must mean something like "the battery has or is is about to run out".

However, now that the beeps are gone I still get nothing on the screen. I've tried removing and reinserting the two memory modules but that hasn't done the trick.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 05 Feb 06

Plug in an external monitor to check that the laptop screen is not faulty.

Ther will be a key combination to swap from laptop to external screen Fn+F2 is quite common.

s99Raj 22:16 05 Feb 06

Yes, I tried an external monitor too but nothing comes up on that either.

woodchip 22:17 05 Feb 06

Faulty memory

woodchip 22:18 05 Feb 06

Did not read lower down, Remove battery and try it just on mains

s99Raj 22:18 05 Feb 06

Is that the most likely thing then - faulty memory? Pity I haven't got a spare one that will fit to try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009