Beep on shutdown

polymath 20:42 04 Dec 03

When I shut down, occasionally the computer makes 1 beep. It's after the monitor's gone black, just before I hear the mechanical sounds slowing down.

I have the computer on & off daily. It's 3 years old, and the 1st of these beeps was a few weeks ago. It's happened twice since. I can't think of any recent changes I've made, and haven't noticed any problems.

Should I worry?

Win98SE, 448mb ram (3 cards, 3rd one fitted a year ago, no memory problems noticed).

Have to go soon, but back Fri pm.

A_World_Maker 21:19 04 Dec 03

Do you disconnect from the internet before you shutdown, or rely on the shutdown process to do that for you?

The noise can also be attributed to the Monitor signal stopping, with the monitor still turned on. Especially as it gets older.

Try taking out each of your internal cards and rubbing the contacts with a pencil rubber (gently) and reseating them.

Gongoozler 10:29 05 Dec 03

Hi polymath. If the beep is coming from the internal speaker (the one that gives the POST beep at startup), it could be that you have a BIOS hardware monitor that is still active as the computer is shutting down. It could then be sensing that a voltage is out of range and sounding a warning. Check in the BIOS and see if there is a hardware monitor, and if the alarm setting is too tight.

polymath 20:41 05 Dec 03

Thanks World_Maker and Gongoozler.

I'm always disconnected from the internet before shutting down (as soon as I've finished with it, in fact.) The beep does coincide with the monitor shutting down, and I don't turn the monitor off separately - just by virtue of finally disconnecting my surge bar (which has everything through it including monitor) after each session (just an extra precaution against lightning, which is common here).

Should I be turning the monitor off before its signal stops?

I'll try cleaning the cards (memory cards, I presume?).

I'll check that thing in the Bios, Gongoozler - the beep is from the internal speaker.

As the beep is so occasional, I probably won't know for ages whether the above solves the problem/puzzle, but I'll report back anyway.

Thanks again.

Gongoozler 08:22 06 Dec 03

Hi polymath. Monitors don't really care whether they are turned off before or after the computer shuts down. If the memory had any problems, this would cause a beep at start-up, or erratic running, not a beep at shutdown. The internal case speaker wouldn't be triggered by the modem, the modem has it's own speaker for any sounds it wants to generate. In my opinion, that only leaves the BIOS hardware monitor.

polymath 17:36 06 Dec 03

Thanks Gongoozler - you saved me some time, as I hadn't had time to try anything yet!

My Bios does have a Hardware Monitor section, but I can't see anything that looks like an alarm. The only thing there I can access to set is ACPI shut down temperature, currently at Disabled (with options from 60-75 deg. C). The other items seem to be monitoring temperatures, fan speeds, & other things cryptic to me. I can't see anything in the other Bios sections that could be to do with alarms (except maybe the sleep mode stuff in Power Management, & I have sleep mode disabled anyway).

If it's just a matter of an alarm set at the wrong level, though, I'd be happy just to ignore it. I just thought I'd check it doesn't mean 'Impending hard disc failure' or something!

polymath 19:13 08 Dec 03

Just bouncing this, in case anyone has any more thoughts on it.

Had my fourth shutdown beep last night (after a few days without any).

Gongoozler 14:16 09 Dec 03

Hi polymath. If you don't have a hardware monitor installed, install and run AIDA32 from click here. Run it and let us know what it has under Computer - Sensor. There may be a clue to your puzzle there.

polymath 20:02 09 Dec 03

Many thanks for the link, Gongoozler. I downloaded Aida32 (Enterprise Edition), and even if it doesn't solve my current puzzle (no pun intended!) it looks like an extremely useful piece of freeware.

This is what its Computer Sensor says (hope I've transcribed it correctly. Couldn't find a way to print it - maybe I need to register 1st).

Server type VIA 686 Internal, Server Access ISA COOh.

Temperatures; M/board 28c, CPU 38c, Aux 23c.
CPU cooling fan 5444rpm.

Voltage values; (icon of square thing) CPU core 1.60v; +2.5v 0.23v; +3.3v 3.20v.

(triangle icon with zigzag); +5v 4.93v; +12v 12.05v.

Gongoozler 21:08 09 Dec 03

Hi polymath. There are no problems there anyway. The 2.5V figure is meaningless (mine is showing .28V, probably because there is no 2.5V in the system to measure!)
The other voltages are fine. The onboard generated voltages, with the squarish icon that I think represents the cpu heatsink, are the cpu core voltage and 3.3V. The power supply generated voltages represented by the triangle with the lightening flash are 5V and 12V. The tolerances on these are normally 10%, and yours are well within that. The CPU temperature at 38c is well within normal limits. AIDA32 is not quite as accurate as a dedicated hardware monitor, but it is good enough to show that your system voltages and temperatures are well within normal limits.

To print the page, you need to click "Report" - "Quick report" - "Plain text (or whichever you prefer)". Then you can print.

polymath 21:30 09 Dec 03

Many thanks Gongoozler. My education's just advanced a few notches, thanks to your info.

And I can relax, for now! (but really must get a 2nd hard disk or something, for backup).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…