Be router

Bailey08787 16:12 25 Apr 07

Hi

This may be a dumb question. Just signed up with Be broadband - line due to be activated tomorrow.

Be have sent me a router/modem which has a wireless speed of 54mb.

I already have a netgear dg834gt click here and a netgear wg311t click here which both run at speeds of 108mbps

Am I best to use my existing set-up?

Or use the Be router/modem? Will using the Be router/modem be more reliable, speedier, allow me to access particular features, etc?

thanks

rodriguez 16:34 25 Apr 07

I've just looked at the Be router and it is half the speed of the Netgear one you have. When you're line is activated tomorrow, plug in your Netgear router and see if it connects. It should do, you just might need your connection username and password from Be before it puts you online, which they will send you either in a letter or with your router.

malgall 19:51 25 Apr 07

your dg834gt should work fine after you have
got it to check the line and sort out you new broadband settings

if not sure how to do this just reset it
like new the other item connects to the router so it should not even need to change anything

Kate B 19:54 25 Apr 07

I'm talking off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure the Be router supports ADSL2, which will give you the faster download speeds Be offers. I don't think the Netgear does, though you might be able to do a firmware upgrade via the Netgear site.

Dipso 21:17 25 Apr 07

The DG834GT does work with Be. There are mixed reports. Some say they get a faster sync, some slower, it seems it's down to the individual line.

My advice would be to try the Be box first, it's just a matter of plugging it in, no configuration required. Be support won't offer technical advice if you use an alternative router so best to iron out any issues first.

If everything seems OK try the Netgear. Someone has kindly done a wiki with the set up details click here

Bailey08787 10:54 26 Apr 07

thanks all - very helpful advice

dipso, the settings will come in handy when i try to set up the netgear

through your link i also came across beforum.co.uk which is handy

Kate B, apparently the latest firmware for the netgear includes:

Updated the ADSL driver to improve ADSL2 and ADSL2+ support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now