To be pingable or not pingable is the question?

hatrickj 17:34 22 Jul 07

The site Broadband Resources recommends that I make my connection pingable. At the moment it is not.

I do not understand what pingable does, so would like to be informed and know what are the upsides and downsides of a change? I am with Plusnet with static IP address. Thanks. :)

Trackrat 17:59 22 Jul 07

Pingable means to be able to successfully send a PING (Packet Inter-Network Gopher) to a device in the network and receive a reply from it, proving connectivity from device-to-device through the network.
In other words that you are connected to the internet and can send and receive.

alan2273 18:09 22 Jul 07

If you want to test you PING, do this.
Click start / click run / in box type cmd / click ok / at the prompt type ping 66.249.67.132 and press enter (that is googles address) then it should show 4 packets sent 4 packets received 0 lost, and the time it took in milliseconds.

Batch 18:18 22 Jul 07

I would have thought that you explictly do not want to enable your system (e.g. router) to respond to pings. If you system responds to pings it means that others out on teh Internet can tell that there is "something" there and may try to mount a more serious attack. If there is no response (to a ping), the idea is that such scum will hopefully look elsewhere.

My router explicity suggests blocking responses to pings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…