bbc.co.uk

pj123 14:01 29 Dec 04

I used to be able to log on to the BBC website and watch/listen to the news. Now I get nothing, just a blank screen?

I have disabled my firewall and antivirus but still the same.

VoG II 14:06 29 Dec 04

If you mean that you can't access the site at all, there might be an erroneous entry in the HOSTS file.

As I believe that you are using Windows 98, the file (if it exists) would be in C:\windows (it is called just "HOSTS" with no file extension).

If you find it, Shift + right click, Open With and select Notepad. Have a look for any BBC entries and if you find one delete the entire line.

pj123 14:14 29 Dec 04

Hi VoG™, no I can access the site OK but when I click on Today, News, Watch/Listen to BBC news nothing happens.

Jackcoms 14:15 29 Dec 04

And don't EVER use the net with your anti-virus disabled. ;-)

mattyc_92 14:17 29 Dec 04

you may have uninstalled "realplayer" or the server may be experiencing "techniquial dificulties"

pj123 14:20 29 Dec 04

I have found an Hosts file in C:\windows but it has an extension of .ram which I believe is Real.

It used to work OK before.

Jackcoms, I try never to access the internet without an antivirus running.

davwil 15:03 29 Dec 04

I, too, have this problem, but only with IE6 browser.
It appears that for some reason it is not picking up Realplayer, even though it is installed correctly. It will work with Media Player OK (it does give you the option to change player at the bottom of the window), but Realplayer just gives a blank screen. As PJ123 says, it used to work OK until maybe a couple of months ago, but I may well have updated IE6 to prevent Realplayer from opening. Funny thing is, it does work OK with other browsers, even those that use IE6 as a 'base' eg Avant browser.

pj123 15:23 29 Dec 04

mattyc_92, I don't have realplayer on my computer it is too invasive. I have JetAudio which reads and plays all real files. It was working fine up to a couple of weeks ago.

chub_tor 16:07 29 Dec 04

I have found the BBC website to be very "iffy" ie sometimes Real player works fine for hours on end, sometimes you can't connect, sometimes you connect and then it drops out after a few minutes. Today on my PC it seems fine (I am listening to Radio 4 as I write this). I think that the BBC just has a flakey programme, but nevertheless if you wait long enough it eventually fixes itself.

pj123 16:11 29 Dec 04

chub_tor, thanks, I will give that a try.

^wave^ 16:57 29 Dec 04

have you got spy bot installed i know if do an imunise it can stop you loading cookies for sites that require them do a roll back of spybot if this is the case

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…