BBC Website

pj123 14:55 28 May 04

History: first of all I have an aversion to Reaplayer, due to it's very intrusive attitude. I use JetAudio and have, up until a few days ago, been able to log on to the BBC website and view/listen live to various programmes.

I have just logged on again and tried to view the TV news, but, this time nothing. Before, Jetaudio used to open and then buffer and then stream the content. I have tried the "Contact Us" button on the site but there doesn't appear to be any way to contact them via email, only questions and answers to FAQs, none of which are relevant to my problem. Any other realplayer file (.ram .ra .rm) plays fine in Jetaudio except for the BBC site. I use three other sites that all say "RealPlayer is needed to view/play the content". But they are all working with no problem using JetAudio.

Stuartli 15:21 28 May 04

The BBC has had its own radio streaming link for a while now - the only time that Real comes into the equation is if you are having problems and have to "Click here" to make the switch.

Incidentally, whilst at the same time noting that it would be almost impossible to visit every big website, I firmly believe that the BBC website is probably the best, most comprehensive and most constantly updated of its type worldwide.

Unless you know better.

Irishman 15:22 28 May 04

click here

Works great for me.

Stuartli 15:22 28 May 04

You have to configure Real to do exactly as YOU want it to - not

Irishman 15:24 28 May 04

Definitely the best yet there are some in the British government who call it a waste of public money. It is in my opinion one of the BEST uses of public money I have ever seen.

Stuartli 15:30 28 May 04

Fully agree - as for politicians it brings the words "pot", "kettle" and "black" to mind....

MartinT-B 15:32 28 May 04

The BBC use Realplayer for copywrite/piracy reasons.

Don't ask me why - you can legally copy any radio or TV programme they broadcast for persoanl use, and I see no reason why they can't use the WMP that's bundled with windows.

If you want to DL realpplayer on a 56K dial-up it takes a long time.

The strange thing is that if you want to listen to BBC Radio 7 live, you have a choice of RP or WMP, but if you want to listent to the archive (Round the Horne, Wednesday 12.30-13.00 click here ) you can ONLY listen with RP.

You could post on their AV/Audio feedback page click here

pj123 15:55 28 May 04

Stuartli, I, like you, "firmly believe that the BBC website is probably the best, most comprehensive and most constantly updated of its type worldwide."

I haven't got Realplayer on my PC. I don't like it, which is why I am using JetAudio and have not had any problems with it until a few days ago. I always did get a note that said "Note: Realplayer is needed to view/listen to ..." but JetAudio always coped with that, now that doesn't appear to be the case. I have just tried the other 3 sites I use and, although they have the same "NOTE" about Realplayer and they are all streaming perfectly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:08 28 May 04

If you d/l RealPlayer from the BBC website it comes without the adverts like the paid version ;-))))

Diodorus Siculus 18:46 28 May 04

RealAlternative does a good job. click here

Stuartli 10:10 29 May 04

I have RealOne on my system, along with QuickTime, WMP9 etc and experience no problems with it - in fact performance wise it's as good as any and probably better than some.

But I have always taken steps to ensure that, as I stated earlier, it does what I want it to do and not dance to Real's tune...:-)

I find that if I start off with the BBC's own player it eventually gives up the ghost and a switch to RealOne is necessary; so I use RealOne from the time I go on to the BBC website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…