BBC + Realplayer

ianeon 13:55 15 Jan 04

When I listen to the BBC using Realoneplayer the sound is distorted - I have reinstalled and updated Real - can anyone help please - when I play downloaded music - through WMP everything is O.K. - It is just listening to the radio that is distorted - Thank you - Ian

BarryKeith 14:37 15 Jan 04

If you are on a dialup connection you will have to put up with a low bitrate and loss of data if the net is under heavy usage. This is possibly the cause of your problem. Windows media player uses a different format that manages to condense the data more effectively that realnetworks player and so is less likely to suffer from net congestion. If you enjoy listening to music on the internet you could always try "Spinner", a streaming audio player with a huge selection of differing types of music.

Djohn 15:11 15 Jan 04

Try Jetaudio, much better than Realplayer and works with BBC. Free download from click here

ianeon 20:46 15 Jan 04

Thank you for your help - but I only want to listen to Radio4 - I tried "Jetaudio" - but I didn't understand how to listen to The BBC - I'm not bright enough to do things unless I have an "idiots guide" - Thank you for your help

ianeon 20:47 15 Jan 04

PS - I am on broadband

Chegs ® 21:13 15 Jan 04

click here

I use this,its simply codecs for WMP so it gets BBC radio no bother.

Its most likely due to traffic causing a slowdown for Real's faster connection setup on your pc(512k stream)whereas d/l music to hdd means there is nothing slowing the playback.I listen to click here most days,and noticed I often "lose" its stream at peak times(with my last ISP)

ianeon 21:28 15 Jan 04

Thank you - tried that but it didn't help

Sheila-214876 22:54 15 Jan 04

I agree with Djohn. I use JetAudio. You need to uninstall everything to do with RealPlayer first though. You need to set up JetAudio first. Once it is installed open it and go to Preferences, File Associations, and Select All and then Update. It should now open automatically whenever audio or video is activated. There is another thread on this subject, I will find it and post a link.

Sheila-214876 10:22 16 Jan 04

Found the previous thread, here is the link. click here

ianeon 14:55 16 Jan 04

Thank you for your help - I have done as you advised - but please forgive my ignorance - how do I use this programme to listen to the BBC ?

Sheila-214876 15:49 16 Jan 04

You don't need to. All you need to do is log on to the BBC programme you want to listen to (or watch) and it will automatically open. I have just been to click here and clicked on News, Video and JetAudio opens automatically with sound and video.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…