BBC radio player

obbit 17:15 25 Oct 05

I listen to BBC radio 2 on the internet.

Who is to blame when the quality goes from 44kbps to 11kbps. Is it the BBC or NTL my ISP?

I constantly have to reconnect over and over again in order to get listenable quality.

It keeps breaking up too. Never hear the broadcast for more than 15 minutes before it breaks up. The sound also sounds like it is coming down a long pipe when it goes off and comes back on.

Diemmess 18:29 25 Oct 05

Trying to record Gardener's Question Time for my wife via a hi-fi tape deck has the same defect, though I can listen directly for as long as I can stand it!

Like you obbit, I await some Wizard's answer.

007al 18:42 25 Oct 05

are you browsing the web whilst listening to the radio?

007al 18:42 25 Oct 05

or downloading?

obbit 19:03 25 Oct 05

It happens anytime even when pc is idle.

007al 19:07 25 Oct 05

if its the same increment of time,it could be your anti virus connecting and seeking for updates,or anti spyware program if you have one thats running in real time

splork 19:13 25 Oct 05

Dial up or broadband? Which version of Realplayer do you have installed, and what browser are you using to listen to the audio? Can you download .ram or .ra audio and listen to it normally when it's been saved to your hard-drive? click here
for example (first reasonably sized .ra file I could find quickly)

Curio 19:15 25 Oct 05

How are you receiving Radio 2? Windows Media Player, Real Player, BBC player? I had a similar sort of problem using Real Player, changing to the BBC one solved it for me.

ade.h 20:19 25 Oct 05

Jet Audio works fine too.

interzone55 20:31 25 Oct 05

the reason download speeds decrease is due to the way TCP/IP error correction works.

Whenever your PC detects a dropped packet it sends a request for a repost, simultaneously the download rate is reduced by half. After a period the download rate is gradually increased, but drops again as soon as another dropped packet is detected.

New transport protocols are being developed to alleviate this problem which is a legacy of the old days 14.4kbs dialup.

obbit 20:51 25 Oct 05

I am using firefox browser on the BBC radio2 site radio player "listen live". I have tried the stand alone Real Player too. I have NTL 2meg BB connection.

It sounds like alan14 has a possible cause why I have trouble.

It seems radio 2 gives me more trouble than other BBC radio although it does happen with local BBC too though not as often.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…