bbc radio

holligan 21:12 17 Dec 03

when i try to listen it says i need to download a file sure stream.Is that right i used to just press play.i have to download a file for different bbc programmes

spikeychris 21:21 17 Dec 03

click here for a full list. Any problems post back.

holligan 22:07 21 Dec 03

to the question there.i still cant play it. i download the sure stream file but cant open it.i thought you just need the media player.rpm its says the file is from.

howard60 22:15 21 Dec 03

for bbc radio you must have Real Player - you can download it free from the bbc web site.

holligan 22:42 21 Dec 03

still cant listen without the file sure stream .which does not work

Marky_Bhoy 00:47 22 Dec 03

I had the same problem. I used to be able to just press play. But then somthing unrelated happen to my PC and then I had to download real player.

I'm not a big fan of real player because it likes to take over every media file I have got and becomes the default media player. So what I did was to download the most basic free version. I chose the advanced install method (so I could choose my own prefrences) basically I unticked every box.

Now Real player sits in the background and behaves itself and I can listen to bbc radio.

And yes, it is strange how different bbc programs need real player but others do not.

Stuartli 09:29 22 Dec 03

BBC has a choice of two players, one of which is Real.

If the BBC Listen Here link doesn't work it suggests you try the other.

If you configure Real properly and prevent it from taking over your system it's very good - I can surf as normal (on dialup) and still listen without breaks to Terry Wogan etc.

Stuartli 09:32 22 Dec 03

The BBC states:

New digital stations 1Xtra, 6 Music, Asian Network and BBC 7 are now available to listen to in Windows Media format - you'll also find them on Freeview, along with others...

Sheila-214876 10:32 22 Dec 03

I also don't like RealPlayer, I now use JetAudio free from click here Plays perfect including BBC TV News video.

TheTerminator 10:42 22 Dec 03

click here

which has all the codecs etc of Real player but uses media player 6.4 to run which is a lot less intensive etc...
It's fantastic and I can uninstall real player and forget about it!
there are also versions of quicktime which just installs the codecs etc and everything should then run fine.
Give it a go and be impressed by it,

Sheila-214876 14:47 22 Dec 03

Just logged in to BBC7 and listening to Dads Army no problem using JetAudio. Give it a try. Uninstall RealPlayer first though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…