BBC iplayer desktop keeps wanting to reinstall

coolteach 22:06 08 Nov 09

Hi there,

This morning I used my BBC iplayer desktop for the first time in ages. It wanted to update so I let it. However now whenever I try to download a program it tries (unsuccessfully) to reinstall itself and then won't download a new program. If I uninstall and then let it reinstall I can download the first programme but when I try for a second it doesn't seem to recognise that iplayer desktop is there. I've tried having it running, having it not running but whatever, it doesn't recognise it is installed. Any ideas?

Graphicool1 09:28 09 Nov 09
  coolteach 20:42 09 Nov 09

Thanks for the link. I'd already sent a message through this but don't expect much in return from it to be honest. Just wondered if I was missing anything obvious!

coolteach 12:56 10 Nov 09

I have tried using it through firefox and ie8 but the issue is still the same - it wants to install iplayer desktop when it's already installed and the only way I can proceed is to uninstall iplayer desktop first!

Graphicool1 15:49 10 Nov 09

These are the specifications needed...

Windows

To install on Windows please see this advice.

Intel Pentium III 1GHz or faster processor, 512MB of RAM
Recommended: Pentium 4 2GHZ or faster, 1GB RAM
Supported Windows versions:
Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise including 64-bit editions and Vista SP1.
Windows XP SP2 and SP3, Tablet PC Edition SP2 and SP3,
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows 2003 Server
Adobe Flash 9.0.115 or higher and Adobe Air 1.5.

coolteach 18:23 10 Nov 09

Yeah, running XP Pro Sp3 on a 2.5Gb Intel Core Duo 2 Dell Laptop. It did work until air and iplayer decided they needed updating and foolishly I clicked yes! If it ain't broke...

Graphicool1 18:10 11 Nov 09

Try 'System Restore' back to before the updates.

coolteach 19:33 11 Nov 09

Yeah, I'd thought of that one but am holding off as I've done a few important things software and config wise since then that I don't really want to have to redo. BTW, any changes I made were after the iplayer fouled up so they aren't responsible.

coolteach 19:34 11 Nov 09

Oooo! I've just uninstalled the iplayer via revouninstall, downloaded google chrome, installed iplayer desktop through this and it works properly via google chrome. No requests to reinstall. Am going to try it through firefox and IE8 now. If they don't work then I think I'll try a reinstall of firefox and ie8.

coolteach 19:38 11 Nov 09

Yay!!!! iPlayer desktop now works through Firefox. I'll give Google the credit for this one as I had previously tried revo uninstaller to remove iPlayer desktop prior to reinstall!!! Yipee!

On the downside, it's back to watching download usage carefully to make sure I don't exceed my allowance!

Thanks for your support Graphicool1 too. Appreciate the responses.

coolteach 19:46 11 Nov 09

Just to finish this one off, iPlayer desktop is now recognised as being on my system by IE8 too. Praise be to Google!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant