B/Band "Intermittently Freezing" When Surfing Web

JohnnyBoy 21:18 01 Jun 04

Hi Guys, Im afer some help please, Ive had freeserve b/band for over a year now, and just lately (last week or so) when using the web or email I get a pause of about a minute or so before anything loads, this is entirely random, I could be surfing away from page to page for five mins or so, and then it freezes for approx 2 mins before it attempts to load the page. When it finally decides to, then the page loads with its normal fast speed that Im used to. Ive tried contacting my ISP twice now but have had no reply as of yet.

Is there anything I could try checking out for myself ?

Thanks for your time,

JohnnyBoy

stalion 23:12 01 Jun 04

bump

johnnyrocker 23:16 01 Jun 04

well i doubt your isp is the cause, your os would be helpful, along with any info re anti spyware/trojans on board.

johnny.

JohnnyBoy 23:40 01 Jun 04

Thanks for the bump stalion,

johnnyrocker, how do you say its not my ISP that is the cause ?, for your info I am running Win Me, using Ad-Aware 6 which shows no spyware/malware etc and my virus DATs (McAfee) are updated on a twice weeklly basis.

A suggestion I had from another forum was that there is a possible problem with my ISP's servers.
As they do not respond to my enquiries I am not able to confirm this.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Djohn 00:47 02 Jun 04

Not sure if it will apply in your situation as it will normally cause loss of connection as well but worth a look. It may be that if you are pausing on a page for some time and there is no activity going on, the USB modem is powering down. At least it's a start on where to look and others will come up with better suggestions.

Check under device manager, scroll down to "Universal serial bus controllers". Click on the + sign to expand then check any/all USB root hubs. Right click on them, left click on properties then power management. Make sure there is not a tick in the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device when not in use"

JohnnyBoy 17:32 02 Jun 04

Thanks for the reply Djohn, I checked as you suggested, however there is not an option listed "Allow the computer to turn off this device when not in use", so therefore it must be always on yes ?

Any other thoughts guys ?

Still not heard back from my ISP, despite their promise to reply within 24 hours.. :(

JohnnyBoy 22:33 02 Jun 04

bump..

€dstowe 06:07 03 Jun 04

BT have been having problems at certain telephone exchanges recently. Yes, I know you're on freeserve but the service still comes through BT equipment.

My father has been having huge difficulties similar to yours in the past few weeks. He is on the Haslemere exchange.

You could try phoning the BT Broadband Service Status Line on 0800 169 0199. OK, this is for the BT service but it also gives information on the broadband equipment that is used for all wired BB services.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…