BB speed question

woodchip 21:42 11 Nov 08

Why on my desktop do I get

Download at about 6450 kbps on Ethernet

On HP Laptop WiFi I only get 2624 kbps

Both running XP home

Upload speed slightly faster on laptop than desktop.

Upload on Laptop 625 kbps

woodchip 21:44 11 Nov 08

Laptop Wireless is a Intel/Pro 2200BG

Stuartli 21:49 11 Nov 08
  woodchip 22:11 11 Nov 08

Stuartli loaded Netstumbler but cannot figure out how it works If I press Scan arrow it says something on the lines of no AP,s

skidzy 22:24 11 Nov 08

Hi Woody

Just been following this thread and ran a few tests with two laptops and a connected desktop (ethernet).

My speeds were similar to yours but after following Stuartli's link and installing the TCP Optimiser on the two xp laptops,the download speeds have improved considerably.

Maybe a coincidence with the exchange not so busy,i dont know.

but by following these instructions,the lappies are flying as we speak.

It may look complicated but you just need to run the program. Move the speed slider to your desired speed, change the radio button to optimal speed and press Apply.click here

skidzy 22:31 11 Nov 08

Sorry Stu,thankyou for the links :-))

woodchip 22:36 11 Nov 08

skidzy just tried it but its all grayed out on first page other than slider, where is radio button to optimal speed? also after moving slider its still grayed out on Apply.

I am thinking my Router will not let it through Encryption a 3Com

skidzy 22:41 11 Nov 08

Move the slider to 8MB and tick the optimal settings and apply.
reboot

woodchip 22:49 11 Nov 08

Found the optimal rebooted and its now faster than my desktop. Glad I posted this as I could not figure out why it was less than half the speed. Just checked click here

Download Wireless now 6925 kbps

Upload 625 kbps on a 8meg connection 1.8 miles from exchange

woodchip 22:50 11 Nov 08

Thanks Stu I used the one skidzy used on your link.

skidzy 22:59 11 Nov 08

Thats a good upload speed woody,i cannot get near that but downloads are similar to yours.

I have a couple of wireless Vista machines in the house also,bit sceptical of trying those as im not sure the optimiser will work with Vista.

Glad this thread popped up,more than one happy customer :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…