BB Speed: How to upgrade?

igr 21:33 12 Mar 07

I have transferred my 8GB BB service from A major city to a rural location some 3.67km from the nearest exchange. The BB availability checker suggests that 4.5GB should be available on my number and I did get 2GB when I first logged on. Now I am down to less than 1GB.

How do I get BT (my provider) to up the speed to their advertised levels?

MAJ 21:49 12 Mar 07

Their advertised speed will be "UP TO" whatever speed. If your line wont support their advertised speed then you can't get it. It looks like you can only get a reduced speed at your new location.

igr 22:03 12 Mar 07

I understand that MAJ. But when you get 2GB and then are downgraded to less than 1GB then you are somewhat peeved. At that speed any old provider will do at a much lesser cost.

igr 22:40 12 Mar 07

I understand that MAJ. But when you get 2GB and then are downgraded to less than 1GB then you are somewhat peeved. At that speed any old provider will do at a much lesser cost.

MAJ 23:10 12 Mar 07

Okay then, igr, it's obvious that you can't get the 8meg connection at your new location, your new line isn't capable of it. You have checked and noted that your line is capable of speeds of up to 4.5meg. It could be due to contention ratio that you aren't getting the full 4.5meg (or even 2meg), so I would get on to BT, find out what's going on, get a rebate and/or switch to another provider.

Stuartli 23:45 12 Mar 07

I had a similar problem with Tiscali. I had a first class 2MB service for several months after taking up broadband and was then advised (after Tiscali service enhancements at my exchange) that my line would only support 1MB (I'm just 580 yards from the exchange) by one of its engineers.

No amount of argument would convinced him he was off the mark.

So, in the end, I dropped to 1MB to try and stabilise the service.

The following day Tiscali's Upgrade/Downgrade service revealed I could get a 2MB service.

You will not be surprised to learn that this was at a higher price.

So I switched to TalkTalk last April, got 2MB without problems and am now on the "up to 8MB" service.

I'd been with Tiscali (from WorldOnline days) for eight years, so it lost me as a very unhappy subscriber and, from what I've ascertained, many, many others.

woodchip 23:57 12 Mar 07

BT line can deteriorate and does over time, a they use screws to hold connections in the box to hold wires

Stuartli 00:07 13 Mar 07

So does your household electricity circuit.

igr 10:06 13 Mar 07

Ok MAJ - although I am not hopefull of getting to speak to anybody who knows anything. The call centres in India are not very good at understanding these issues - you never get to the engineering people - unless somebody has a number that gets you through to the right people?

Migwell 10:38 13 Mar 07

They are a protected species. Just like the Doctor who hide behind the receptionist who won't let you through on the phone as it's more than her job is worth. lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…