BB shuts itself down. All modem lights go out

Diemmess 17:32 30 Oct 04

Daughter and family have an "over-used" 800 Duron with lots of RAM and Win2K.

Recently changed to Aol BB. Trouble is with the users. Daughter browses the net. Older grandson downloads music like its going out of fashion. Well he calls it - music! Younger son plays games galore.

Result in spite of warnings and regular virus checks is that Aol says "Goodbye" and shuts down at random. All modem (BT 105 voyager)lights go out and the only way back online is to shut down and reboot.

Younger grandson limits himself to a couple of favourite games, Older one is stroppy and says he saves everything on drive D:, so it can't affect the system. I can't stand over them and say DON'T.

Any peacemaking and curative suggestions?

Noelg23 17:50 30 Oct 04

yes ring AOL...otherwise that computer is going to need some serious attention..and by the sounds of what you have just said, I think the latter is your best bet, upgrade the processor, also if you have any other USB peripherals plugged in, unplug them and also you will need to find out what chipset your motherboard uses (ie SiS, VIA, Intel) cos these dont really like the BT Voyager modems and the BT modems can take a lot of power from other USB there is a lot to consider and those kids really should take more care and attention, bless their cottons!

Diemmess 14:52 02 Nov 04

Heard today that CCleaner emailed to them seems to have done the trick!......Eldest grandson installed it, ran it and no more dropping out.

I think the fact that ALL the modem lights went out is significant. Had it been an Aol error I think the power light at least, would have stayed on. It looks as though an overload of rubbish cluttered all the RAM to the point that USB disowned the modem, if that's not too silly a way to describe it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…