BB Router = Firewall?

Elrond 16:50 14 Oct 03

Having just finished connecting my pc to my NTL BB through a router9everythings going fine) am I right in thinking that the router acts as a firewall and thus do not need to restart ZoneAlarm which I disables for installation of the router

rowdy 17:06 14 Oct 03

Router firewalls usually only act one way,ie they prevent unauthorised access TO your computer. They do not stop unauthorised access OUT of your computer.
It is usually best to enable your software firewall as well to prevent any unauthorised acces to the internet by programs on your computer.

rowdy

Taran 17:28 14 Oct 03

I never use a software firewall.

All of my web acces is done from behind my router and visits to every security site online for port probes and similar leak tests shows that my systems are completely stealthed and invisible to the outside world.

If your computer use demands monitoring of outgoing traffic, use the software firewalls for this purpose.

I have all auto-updaters disabled for my software and email traffic comes through a mail server. Likewise, my antivirus software is updated manually and I know every application installed on my systems. If any of it wants to call out for any reason it is welcome to do so but I have long since configured everything to just sit and work without seeking a live connection with the obvious exception of my web authoring and publishing tools.

I've not used a software firewall for ages although, out of curiosity, I ran Kerio in conjunction with my router for the first week or two of returning to broadband via the router and I got one pop up warning in all that time for a new program I had just installed. It was a packet monitoring application I was playing with and Kerio politely asked if I wanted to grant it permission to use the network (which it was intended to monitor), not the internet.

Horses for courses.

It won't do any harm, but it may not be of any real use either.

If you are one of those download addicts who regularly uses P2P programs I'd say you'd be very wise to run a software firewall since you have no clue what it is you actually just downloaded until you start looking at/unpacking/running it. This and email attachments are perhaps your biggest potential risks.

Regards

Taran

Elrond 17:53 14 Oct 03

Thanks chaps. I'll run ZA just as a secondary precaustion for all the programs that may want to call home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…