BB query (SPEED)

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 14:05 16 Apr 05

I have just upgraded from a 256kbps connection to a 512kbps connection I was just wondering if the speed was correct I have done numerous tests at adsl guide and its averiging out at 252kbps upstream and 446kbps downsteam is that about right do u know thank cos if I pay for 512kbps I exspect to get 512kbps up and down stream.

Meshuga 14:10 16 Apr 05

Thats about right. Upstream is usually about half of downstream and your lucky if you get full 512, depends on traffic at the time.

Border Collie 14:10 16 Apr 05

I get 1 meg down but only 128 up. You won't actually get the exact figure but give click here a run and see what it comes up with.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 14:12 16 Apr 05

ok thanks all

Jackcoms 15:52 16 Apr 05

ADSL ("Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line") is a type of DSL. It works by splitting your existing telephone line signal into two, one for voice and the other for data. ADSL technology can work at up to 8Mbps download. The most popular services in the UK at the moment are running at speeds of 512Kbps (approx. 9 times faster than a modem), although speeds of up to 2Mbps can be obtained. Upload speeds are 256Kbps on all products and hence this is why it is "asymmetric", because the download speed is different to the upload speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…