BB query on the speed

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 16:17 18 Feb 05

I have a 256kb BB connection with tiscali which I am pleased with at the moment just lately I have noticed a slowness when connecting to web pages I have checked the BB speed of an evening it runs about 240 - 250kbps ok for me but of a day i varies as to day its running at Downstream 94 Kbps (11.8 KB/sec) / Upstream 236 Kbps (29.5 KB/sec) I have never seen it on downstream at 94kbps this happen allot during the day any ideas or is this right as my BB speed never used to be like this .

FelixTCat 16:25 18 Feb 05

You sure those figures are the right way round - upstream is always slower than downstream on ADSL?

The net gets busy during the day. Also, you are on a 50:1 contention ratio, i.e. you could be sharing your internet connection with up to 49 others. If they are all downloading at once, the connection will get very slow.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 16:45 18 Feb 05

how can I tell if im sharering my connection I guess its with the neighbours I share it with nothing else is runnig that uses the net on my pc. just tested it agian this is what Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 55 Kbps (6.9 KB/sec) 59 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 249 Kbps (31.1 KB/sec) 268 Kbps (inc. overheads)
it said

Jackcoms 16:50 18 Feb 05

All BB connections will run more slowly during the day. That's because more people and businesses use the net during the day and, thus, the contention ratio is much higher.

I also find that my speeds are even slower in the evening when our 'friends' in the US of A come online.

For an accurate speed check click here

FelixTCat 16:59 18 Feb 05

It's not necessarily your neighbours; it is from all those served from the same telephone exchange, which covers a large area.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 17:05 18 Feb 05

ok thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…