BB networking

Diodorus Siculus 08:44 09 Jun 05

I have just ordered BtInternet Broadband (business).

Up to 2Mbps, uncapped. Had to be business as the line is a business line but only ever (as in one fax a month maybe?) used for the fax so I decided to get it BB enabled as the main phone system cannot be BB enabled.

Anyway, I will have it in the downstairs office, but will want to connect my centrino laptop upstairs sometimes.

So, some questions:

1: will this belkin router do the job? click here

2: do I connect the router to the PC via network port or has it to be wireless?

3 - the house is about a hundered years old and pretty solid. How good will this router be at getting through fairly solid walls / ceilings / floors?

Finally, would this be a better option? click here

Smickers 15:55 09 Jun 05

Hi

Both belkin routers work the same way. It connects to the phone line and simultaneously shares the broadband either by any of the 4 (hard wired) ethernet ports or by the wireless side.

When I set up a wireless network I like to have at least one pc permenantly attached to the router by a network cable. This way if the wireless has gone down at least one pc can still connect to the router and/or internet.

The Faster router (i believe) combines channels to achieve the speed increase but is still compatible with the g standard. So this is the one I'd personally go for. There are a lot of varying factors with wireless, you probably will have to try it and see. If you decide to make the pc wireless, get a card with a separate aerial to put on the desk for best results.

Good luck Simon

Diodorus Siculus 19:08 09 Jun 05

Thanks Simon; I'll report back when all is in place (about 2 weeks time I expect).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…