BB - Migration Code ?

Diemmess 17:38 02 Nov 05

Not wishing to interfere with a running thread, where my abysmal lack of knowledge has been exhibited - posted this one.

I naively assumed that if I wished to change BB ISP all I had to do was close any contract and uninstall the old and install software for the new ISP.

It seems to be more complex than that!
click here

Really?....

Chegs ® 18:28 02 Nov 05

All you do is ask your old provider for a MAC number,this(once received)should be passed to the new provider.(MAC = migration authorisation code)Nothing complex in that.

Diemmess 19:27 02 Nov 05

Thank you Chegs ®.

Following reading this thread
click here&
and contributing my wrong idea of how "simple" it was to change ISP has thrown light on the very different business of changing a BB acount from the older dialup system.

In fact this may have been the cause a year ago when I failed to help a son trying to change on the spot from BT to Wanadoo.

His computer wouldn't have it for a day or two. Now I suspect BT didn't release him until that time had passed.

interzone55 20:05 02 Nov 05

I was a little wary of changing broadband, in case my present provider was reluctant to release me.

But when the time came to change Wanadoo gave me a MAC code without grumbling, just wanting to know why I wanted to change ISP, who I intended to move to, and how much I was going to pay, then they gave me the v. long MAC code.

I then gave this MAC code to Demon and I was migrated exactly 10 days later.

One point to note is that you can only migrate to exactly the same service with your new provider, i.e. if you are currently on a 1Mbs service with 50:1 contention (most home services) you have to migrate to a 1Mbs service with 50:1 contention with your new ISP. If your new ISP offers a faster service they should then upgrade you (although I'm still waiting for Demon to pull their finger out on this one).

Another point is that you cannot migrate from AOL and some Tiscali customers are also unable to migrate.

Diemmess 08:33 03 Nov 05

"Another point is that you cannot migrate from AOL and some Tiscali customers are also unable to migrate." - - Without a lot of fuss??

This was exactly the difficulty which prompted the another's thread -
click here
- I hope this link works the last one didn't!

I have been living in the 'sheltered environment' of Aol, unaware that there was a MAC to be invoked in order to change ISP.

Perhaps my confession will help others to avoid frustation and a difficult transfer to a new ISP

interzone55 08:56 03 Nov 05

AOL have been losing millions of subscibers worldwide, probably due to the fact that users have opened their eyes and seen that AOL do not provide a good service, and their restrictions on supported hardware is not a good thing.

Maybe they've decided that the only way to stop the outflow of subscribers is to make it as difficult as possible to leave the service. A friend had this problem in the late 90's when he tried to cancel his dialup service, it seemed that there was only one AOL operative in the whole UK who was authorised to cancel a subscription. In desperation my friend actually closed the credit card used to pay for the service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…