BB Download Speed tests

rawprawn 11:36 23 Dec 04

I have been running Dan Elwell's BB Speedtest. All seems reasonable except for two results. Download from UK servers, shold get 512 actual 226. Download from European servers, should get 512 actual 244. There is a comment that these are not good and need investigation. I am on Tiscali 512. What should I be doing to get these speeds better ?

Noelg23 11:52 23 Dec 04

try this site click here and the Speed Test is on the left hand side menu...

ACOLYTE 11:55 23 Dec 04

I just ran the test and should have got 1024 and got 920 but it says i was ok,so i suspect you dont acctually get the full amount,would depend how close to the exchange you are i guess.

rawprawn 12:41 23 Dec 04

I have tried the test from Noelg23 and got these results Actual Downstream 79 KBPS (9.9 KB sec)and 242 KBPS ( 30.3 KB sec) but I don't really understand the results. Can either of you tell me if these look normal. M 12 month contract with Tiscali ends in January and I woul like to know a bit more before I make up my mind. Thanks.

rawprawn 12:41 23 Dec 04

I have tried the test from Noelg23 and got these results Actual Downstream 79 KBPS (9.9 KB sec)and 242 KBPS ( 30.3 KB sec) but I don't really understand the results. Can either of you tell me if these look normal. M 12 month contract with Tiscali ends in January and I woul like to know a bit more before I make up my mind. Thanks.

Noelg23 13:03 23 Dec 04

79Kbps?!?!?! and this is on a 512K connection? how can you get that slow speed? ACOLYTE you dont need to worry your speed is fine...but rawprawn...you need to have serious words with Tiscali...if I were you I would get them to a check on your broadband connection. if they say to contact BT tell them you dont have to contact BT they should as its a problem with the broadband and not the the phone line. but if you are experiencing problems with the phone line then and only then do you ring BT. so speak to Tiscali, get some info as to whats happening and demand they get an engineer out. they only way they send out an engineer is by contacting BT wholesale. good luck. if oyu have anymore trouble from Tiscali go to my post in the Speakers Corner titled Broadband ISPs passing their customers to BT and leave a comment if you want...

anchor 13:06 23 Dec 04

Here are my current results using the Pipex 512 service:

Downstream:

Actual: 458 Kbps (57.3 KB/sec)

True: 494 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream:

Actual: 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec)

True: 262 Kbps (inc. overheads)

This is typical of the results obtained over the last 2 years.

rawprawn 13:45 23 Dec 04

I have just tried again and got
Actual Downstream 157 kbps and Upstream 243 kbps. It has got better but it still does not look good. I will contact Tiscali.

rawprawn 14:37 23 Dec 04

Ooops, I contacted Tiscali and found that my contract was for 256 not 512 so I have upgraded.I think it was a senior moment Thank you for your help

JIM 14:42 23 Dec 04

I hope that information has made your day and you enjoy your 512 when it arrives.

Santa works in mysterious,hope you have a good one.

anchor 15:12 23 Dec 04

I think a downstream rate of 157 Kbs was poor, even for a 256 service. Surely, on that connection one would expect about half of the 458 kbs I get.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…