BB connection speeds made simple?

Diemmess 10:21 10 Mar 06

Two threads have been running this week, based on members concerned about whether they are or are, not getting the connection speed that their Aol contract promises.

To beginner, the price of a “bargain widget” is say £9.99 then postage and VAT on everything, and before you can say Wow, the price of the widget is nearly £18 not the nine quid first thought of.
I think BB contract speeds have the same fogging, but in reverse….. if you follow?

In Broadband terms could some sage please breakdown the round figure of a Broadband 1G service into real terms please.

Downloading a file in bytes/second = ?

Smegs 10:47 10 Mar 06

Not sure if this answers it for you.

click here

Diemmess 13:35 10 Mar 06

Download speed is for me the bottom line.

I regularly have 61- (bytes per second)and converting to kbps (X 8) makes close on, but just under 500k....... and here we go round again, it doesn't reconcile with a supposed 1G service, which Aol say I have.

DieSse 13:44 10 Mar 06

256Kbps equates in round terms to 30KBps downloads. Thus 1Gbps should mean 120KBps.

However you always need to remember

1) No supplier guarantees you speeds, except at fairly low percentages of the maximum

2) Lots of things apart from you rates speed affect the actual speeds of downloads - such as local loop loadings - your server loadings - the serving system loadings - all the interconnections loadings.

For instance, I have a nominal 512Kbps link - with some sites it can consistently run at 60KBps - with others it consistently runbs at 30-40, with others down around 10-12 - nothing to do with my system or link, just the serving systems different capabilities. Most sites just vary up and down depending on unknown factors.

But the fact that for some links I can consistently get near the maximum lets me know for sure that the ISP gives me the maximum at least most of the time.

rdave13 15:00 10 Mar 06

Last year had problems with my 2 meg connection. Constantly getting 1 meg. Anyway to cut a long story short, I finally got through to AOL that it was their end at fault. After I suggested that at end of contract I would be leaving as I was fedup being fobbed off, lo and behold the speed has been excellent. Until now (sigh!)

One of the speed checkers I use is click here ,handy to send to AOL my speed test results.

Diemmess 15:03 10 Mar 06

You answered my basic question -> "256Kbps equates in round terms to 30KBps downloads. Thus 1Gbps should mean 120KBps".<-

The bottom line seems to be that I am being allowed 500K NOT 1G with an Aol Silver contract, in spite of their "0870 agent's" insistance to the contrary.

The BT Voyager Rx data rate 2272kbps, which I assume is the maximum my local BT exchange and the Voyager together can accomplish, and nothing at all to do with Aol!

As I mentioned in another thread - a son (on Silver) and a daughter (on Gold)
We are on local but different exchanges, have the same or double speed respectively.

Diemmess 15:16 10 Mar 06

Good for you, that link backs my argument.
Sorry but----
Where can I find the report to my email, or doesn't it work like that?

rdave13 15:28 10 Mar 06

Once you have run a speed check then a link will open and will show your test result. Scroll down and fill the two boxes. An email will be sent to yourself with the report. I foreward this email to the"0870" agent.
Another way I check my download speed is to use Gamers Hell site. I click on downloads and pick any demo. This site offers different servers and usually Greece or Uk seem the best. Best speed has been 244KBps.after it has settled. Then I cancel it.

Diemmess 15:39 10 Mar 06

I never did feel alone in such company.
I just didn't realise how very many others are in the same boat.

Time to dream up a "more in sorrow than anger" type of letter.

cynote 16:56 10 Mar 06

Download rates are presented as Kbps(bits per second).
Where a single bit equates to a logic condition either 1 or 0 and, 8 Bits = 1 Byte that equates to a single keyboard character.
A perfect connection speed of 1Mbps should therefore be capable of downloading data at the equivalent rate of 1.000.000 bps or 1250 Kbits per second.

There are several sites available for download speeed tseting "asdlguide.org.uk" is one, and if you are not getting what you should expect then I recommend you contact your ISP.

DieSse 17:47 10 Mar 06

*A perfect connection speed of 1Mbps should therefore be capable of downloading data at the equivalent rate of 1.000.000 bps*

It won't because

1) There are extra overhead bits for error checking

2) There are responses (ACKnowledgements) to say whether a block has been received without an error, and to ask for the next block or ask for a retransmission if it hasn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…