BB connection drops out after about a minute

stlucia 19:07 04 Mar 05

AOL 9 broadband has been working fine using the AOL-supplied BT Voyager 100 modem and Win 98SE.

I can't get it to retain a connection for more than a few minutes when I install it and run it under Win XP (I've got dual boot). When it drops the connection, all three lights on the modem are lit, but AOL is unable to re-establish the connection. AOL and BT Voyager modem both have up to date software, but Win XP does not have SP2. Under XP I'm using Kerio firewall (up to date) and AVG (out of date). I was able to get and run an up to date Stinger, and found no problem.

I'm trying to get everything running under XP so that I can do away with 98SE, so any ideas to sort out my broadband, please?

Hardware is Athlon 600 with 256Mb memory, and there's 505Mb free space on my E:\ drive, which is where XP is installed.

stlucia 19:59 04 Mar 05

I've been on this forum for about 30 minutes without a problem, so I thought it had cured itself. But then I thought I'd try to a download, and it dropped the connection. On reflection, it seems to be downloads that trigger the drop-out.

anchor 09:49 05 Mar 05

It may not be relevant, but I had a similar problem of repeated dropped connections this week. Contacted Pipex, and after a few tests they suggested changing the micro filter.

I happened to have a new spare one to hand, and after doing this all is fine.

stlucia 12:12 05 Mar 05

Thanks, anchor, but I don't think hardware is the problem in this case because the system is 100% reliable when I use it under Win 98SE.

Earlier this morning it dropped the connection again while I was browsing this forum using XP, so it's not just downloads that's triggering it. That time the two green arrows on my toolbar were still green, but all the modem lights were off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…