BB-Connect AoL through N/work Connections - OR NOT

AngeTheHippy 16:01 04 Nov 06

Hi Chaps,
Little question for ya...
now I won't touch AoL with the proverbial bargepole, but my friend does, what's more, she's signed up for another year (fool, FOOL!)and is CONSTANTLY having connection problems. I'm taking my modem round to her anyway later, just to rule out modem probs.
Question is, MUST one only connect AoL BB through their lousy suite of software, or is it possible to manualy add a network connection through control panel/ network connections, like most NORMAL providers?

AngeTheHippy
xx

rdave13 16:19 04 Nov 06

I did recently set up a home network using their lousy suit of software and all went well. You can set it up manualy and tips are provided in the guide.One thing though that is very important when setting up your modem/router is to create a new screen name with a +18 and master access. I failed to see the little box to tick for master setting the first time and caused a little bit of trouble. Dropping connection etc. Do not use the "primary master" screen name (the account holder) otherwise it'll never work properly.

AngeTheHippy 16:56 04 Nov 06

will quiz her on that when I go around. She's used them over a year now, and NEVER had as good a connection as me. We both are rural, but I'm with Eclipse and really cannot fault them, although not likely to get higher connection than 512 for the forseeable future.

Will check this anyway.

AngeTheHippy
x

Snec 16:56 04 Nov 06

I am sure that there are a few people about here who would help you with this but as you already think AOL users are fools, FOOLS, help may not be so readily available on this occasion, I imagine.

AngeTheHippy 17:10 04 Nov 06

I ACTUALLY said...and I quote...'(fool, FOOL!)' - fool - in the singular.

Of the 4 people that I know who use AoL, all 4 are persistently experiencing problems with this provider. OBVIOUSLY not EVERY user of AoL has bad experiences or they wouldn't still be in business! What doesn't cease to amaze me though, is that users are often loath to ditch a poor provider (whether AoL or another)as it seems too much of a problem to start all over again...

AngeTheHippy
x

AngeTheHippy 08:31 05 Nov 06

betybump

SLAYER 08:42 05 Nov 06

I must be a very lucky AOL user,my 3 sometimes 4 pcs are networked through my speedtouch router. Only my main one has Aol on it.No problems whatsoever.Fool that I am.

daisy2bell 09:07 05 Nov 06

I'm with SLAYER on this one. The only diference is that I'm connecting with a netgear router.
2 PC's and 2 Laptops networked, plus printer sharing..Been with AOL for about 6 yrs now.
Yes sometimes problems occur, but with time and experience and with the help here, one can overcome these.
A lot of people seem to rubbish AOL. But from reading posts here and elswhere, all isp's have problems, and I don't think Aol is any worse or better than the others.
The main problem that I have and it happens every 10 days or so is:
I want to sign on using the router, NO connection on any computer. REMEDY: unplug the router, attach the original ADSL modem, connect. Close down PC. Reboot with the router. Simple as that. I do believe that just as the signal gets lost/confused on sky TV, the same can happen with BB

pimpers 15:44 28 Jan 07

Rdave13 said this "I did recently set up a home network using their lousy suit of software and all went well. You can set it up manualy and tips are provided in the guide.One thing though that is very important when setting up your modem/router is to create a new screen name with a +18 and master access. I failed to see the little box to tick for master setting the first time and caused a little bit of trouble. Dropping connection etc. Do not use the "primary master" screen name (the account holder) otherwise it'll never work properly."

I have a simular question but for the lone user on one PC.
I have been helping a silver surfer and she has AOL that I cannot get on with. This is because I am with IE6 and Virgin and have never seen AOL up and running before. (I am not going there so please don't start, LOL!)

When making a new network connecton using an ADSL line, can I use her username and password with IE6 or IE7 as a browser without using AOL software to log on and use?

Thanks in advance.

Pimpers.

rdave13 15:59 28 Jan 07

Once you have set up the router to connect to the net you don't really need AOL's software at all. I hardly use AOL's browser, only for emails, and use Opera for browsing. With a modem you can connect to the net just using AOL's dialler and use another browser. Right click on the aol icon in the system tray and click on start aol dialler.

pimpers 16:02 28 Jan 07

Thanks Drave13, quickest response I have ever had.

Thank you.

pimpers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…