BB on-board modem recommendation?

stlucia 13:17 15 Mar 04

Just got connected to broadband (AOL). But I've now run out of USB ports on my PC and my 4-way hub.

I'm using the supplied 'free' USB modem, and was thinking I could get back a USB port if I buy an on-board BB modem. Is this thing click here at PC World for £9.99 the kind of thing I should be looking for?

Chegs ® 13:42 15 Mar 04

No,you need an ADSL PCI modem(or an ADSL modem/router combo)That item at PC World is just an Network Interface Card,to connect a PC to the Router/Hub,etc.

anon1 13:51 15 Mar 04

What moedm did you get? check the back and see if it has a spare socket (cable connection) that looks like a telephone socket. If you have then get a network card in the pc (like the link you posted) and buy a cable. Then you will; have your usb back. If you have the cable braodband via ntl then you should have the option of either type of connection

stlucia 14:03 15 Mar 04

Thanks Chegs ®, I've seen one of them on the Dabs site for £21 -- still seems like it might be the best way of freeing up a USB socket (the other way being to buy another USB hub).

anon1, the modem is a BT Voyager. No spare sockets on it once I've plugged it into the telephone line and the USB socket.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…