bb, always connected?

jospar 13:42 28 Apr 03

I know that i should know but what is ment by always connected, because when i use the net, i get the same connection box as my old 56k, i have set this to atuo connect, but it stills informs me that it is dailing? so how does it actually work, does it have a silent connection and when it refers to dailing is actually means its just loading the chosen frontpage??

Sir Radfordin™ 13:48 28 Apr 03

Do you have ADSL or a cable connection?

If you have ADSL then you do have to connect and whilst it doesn't dial in the normal fashion it does use the phone line to make what you and I understand as a call. Once connected it will 'always be on'.

With a cable modem the setup is more like being part of a massive network. As soon as your network connection is enabled (normally when you turn the PC on) it gets an IP address and you are connected.

jospar 13:55 28 Apr 03

ADSL connection with pipex, been very pleased so far, except a couple of times i have lossed the connection and it tells me that there is no dial tone, but after about 5 mins it comes back, but other wise no complaints mind you it doesn't allow for tea breaks, with the old 56k i used to be able to make a coffe while waiting for some pages to load!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…