BATTERY REPLACEMENT

GARVINO 12:47 29 Dec 06

My DELL DIMENSION 8300 is indicating a low battery condition. Is this something I can do myself /Do I need to record cmos information if so how do I do that/or does the system retain the info for a short time while battery is changed. Any info or web sites I could visit explaing what I need to do and also the pitfalls would be appreciated.
GARVINO

howard64 12:53 29 Dec 06

the cmos battery is normally just a clip out size of a 2p piece on the motherboard. You will lose all info but when you replace it you can go into the bios and click on load basic info and set the time and date. Worth going into the bios first and looking at each page and noting down what the settings are.

anskyber 12:57 29 Dec 06

If you have your Dell users manual ( it should be on your system or on a CD) it will tell you how to do it including the steps to record your BIOS settings.

Totally-braindead 12:58 29 Dec 06

The settings you need to record in BIOS are mainly the clock speed. Most computers just run on what ever the default is. Personally I would go through the BIOS writing down all the settings in my case the manual comes with a sheet at the back for just that purpose but yours might not as its a branded machine. Boots the chemist sell the batteries CR2032 is the usual number. Heres some info click here

Technotiger 13:00 29 Dec 06
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 29 Dec 06

CR2032 £1.99 for pack f two in Wilkinsons stores

GARVINO 14:21 29 Dec 06

Thanks guys it is like most things simple when you know how. I think I have enough info to give it a go. If I'm in troule again I know I have lots of frinds willing to help.
Many Thanks.
GARVINO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…