Battery Not Functioning On Laptop

Legslip 16:22 23 Jul 10

My friends Dell laptop shows in Ctrl Panel - Power that the battery is fully charged. However if I take the power supply lead out of the laptop it doesn't see any battery and crashes immediately. Is it a duff battery?

Technotiger 16:32 23 Jul 10

Yes, I would think that battery is duff - I hope you are not removing the lead while the laptop is running!

Legslip 16:39 23 Jul 10

Er...yes I am. Is there a prob with that? I would have thought it would switch to battery. Whats the difference between removing the lead and having a power cut?

Graham. 16:39 23 Jul 10

You may need to re-calibrate the battery.

woodchip 16:44 23 Jul 10

it needs a new battery

woodchip 16:45 23 Jul 10

Next time you stop the PC like that, you will be back on hear asking why the PC will not boot

Legslip 16:49 23 Jul 10

Thanks all. Will try a calibration but fink Woodchip's probably right (as always!), needs a new batt.

Legslip 16:50 23 Jul 10

Woodchip. I have two laptops and if I take the power cord out (the same as switching off at the mains, the batteries take over immediately.

Technotiger 16:52 23 Jul 10

I got called away for phone .....

but yes, as woodchip says, could cause serious problem(s).

Technotiger 16:53 23 Jul 10

The battery won't take over if it is duff!!

Legslip 16:57 23 Jul 10

As soon as I put the power lead back in and switch on it goes through the boot procedure OK. Got to go down now for a few hours!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…