battery failure

Smallers 15:44 27 Aug 05

The lithium-on battery in my laptop suddenly failed to provide power. The Power meter in Power Options/Properties alternates between showing Total Battery power remaining 100% - green battery light on; power remaining 100% (charging) - orange light on; Total battery power 0% (charging) - orange light on and then shows charging with blue blocks filling up to about 7% when it leaps to 100%.When it shows 100% (ie fully charged) the green light remains on for only a second or two.
There were no indications that the battery was gradually failing to hold a charge. It is 18 months old and has been lightly used with the laptop using battery charge until exhausted and then re-charged.
any suggestions other than battery life exhausted?

DieSse 16:01 27 Aug 05

Bad connections? - try taking it out and putting it back firmly a couple if times. And/or wipe the connector pads on it with alcohol.

woodchip 16:04 27 Aug 05

Don't know I store mine in the fridge. And use Laptop on mains around the House or garden. I am on Wireless BB

amonra 16:31 27 Aug 05

Try putting it on charge, wait till the led's indicate fully charged, remove the battery and connect a car type bulb (high wattage) across the battery terminals with wires or crocodile clips and watch the intensity of the light. If the battery is in good nick the light should remain constant for quite a long time. If there's a dud cell in the battery, it will die very quickly. That's a quick and easy test, voltage readings dont honestly give a TRUE picture of the state of the battery. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…