//some 3rd party need geo

Battery Confusion?

Wizzy 19:28 14 Nov 03

In febuary I brought a second hand laptop from a mate of my father, after using it for a while I found out the laptop had no battery because I could not use the laptop without it being connected to a plug point and the laptop said it did not have one. About a week ago I upgraded the laptop to Windows 2000 Pro from Windows 98 (first edition.) 2 days later after turning on Advanced Power Management (APM) in the power propertys I found a some hardware called Microsoft Legacy Battery then started reporting batter functions in power propertys. It says "Not present" but today I turned the laptop on, it found some hardware called "LPT1" then changed the name to "Printer Port." I know what this is but the laptop knows one is there already. A minute later all the battery lights on the laptop lit up. The left battery one amber, right battery green. Windows 2000 still says no battery but the laptop is reading there is one (I think). What shall I do. If it helps I have a Time CyberNote 953E.

woodchip 19:43 14 Nov 03

No IDEA if you no there is no battery then ignore it if the comp still works it's not going to work without one if you disconnect that's obvious

The battery compartment should be easy to open underneath the laptop. If there is a battery, take it out for a few minutes. This should reset the voltage detector.

Belatucadrus 20:02 14 Nov 03

Difficult to say, have you actually physically got a battery in the laptop or not? If there is one there and it's on its last legs this could explain the intermittent lights and contradictory reports.

Wizzy 11:35 15 Nov 03

I have no battery compartment on the bottom, I think batterys go in the side on my one. I can't find a battery anywhere.

Newuser2193 12:06 15 Nov 03

Perhaps you could take the laptop to your local computer store to see if they have the correct battery for it. You would then see if the problem is cured.

Belatucadrus 12:59 15 Nov 03

Be warned laptop batteries are expensive click here=*&model=*&type=0&subtype0=0&subtype1=0 click here

Belatucadrus 13:01 15 Nov 03

click here first link went pear shaped, try this and follow the battery links.

00edgarj 13:17 15 Nov 03

If it is an IBM ThinnkPad some of them have the batteries under the keyboard. If the clips to open the lid are either side of the laptop than pull these further forward than you do to open the lid and the keyboard should pop up, and the battery is under there.

Like someone said - now you have upgradeed to Win2K does the laptop work when it is not connected to the power supply?

Try leaving the plug switched on overnight but with the laptop switched off (i.e. how it would be if you were charging any potential battery) and then in the mornign disconnect the plug from the back of the laptop (as there may still be some power in the transformer) and try to switch it on. If you get any response at all from the machie then there must be a battery there but it will be a dead battery. (Chuck it away and be prepared to spend between £50 - £200 on a new one depending on model of laptop)

BarryKeith 13:38 15 Nov 03

Time CyberNote 953E.

00edgarj 13:06 16 Nov 03

I didn't see the make and model in your message - I should have looked closer!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…